Heron indicators....

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: Heron indicators....

Post by Chris Bettis »

I have one of the originals, does not get used these days as I also prefer the centre pin to give me warning of a take but I do regard it as being traditional enough for use and I will not part with it .

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:Rather like the invention of hollow glass rods? Or aluminium or steel rods or ball bearing run centre pins? All preceded by solid glass

Each to their own - so long as it is not the newest invention - bait boats and bait drones plus those mostly stiff unforgiving C rods?
Agree mate :Hat:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:The use of Herons for me was to tell slight pick ups not shown on a bottle top or other indicator - in my case a bread or pastry bobbin!
Using a heavy bread bobbin balanced with a Heron antenna showed what became twitchers, not carp but tench in this case. 1 or 2 casters on an 18 or 16 hook ledgered very close, with an ounce running lead, where you could feed by hand. The line would tighten setting off the buzzer, the line movement being invisible to the eye, resulted in big tench upper 6s and 2 sevens. So yes they caught me some good tench in the gloom.
I once had a money spider set one off - that sensitive.
Nice one Olly, quality mate :Thumb:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tengisgol wrote:I have a pair of original Les Bamford optonics that were acquired for me when I was about fourteen by a chap down the road called Derek Stritton (who became quite well known in carping circles). I still use them a couple of times a year when I'm after a big bream, turned down low when I'm the only one on the lake. They enable me to relax down, watch the lake, listen to the owls, the night and maybe doze a bit. When they do go 'off' it takes me back to when I was a kid. Nothing wrong with that.

In the morning, the tench rod comes out with a little float and the world is a fine place.
Luv it, absolute quality, takes me back in time aswell, I've still got a set of three original delkim's , these I used back in the 80's when I was a complete carp nut on the famous wraysbury pit no: 1 , the last fish I caught from there and on one of me delkim's was the well known " Mary's mate " which I had at 36.5lb :Hat:

Stuart

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Thames Mudlarker wrote:
Tengisgol wrote:I have a pair of original Les Bamford optonics that were acquired for me when I was about fourteen by a chap down the road called Derek Stritton (who became quite well known in carping circles). I still use them a couple of times a year when I'm after a big bream, turned down low when I'm the only one on the lake. They enable me to relax down, watch the lake, listen to the owls, the night and maybe doze a bit. When they do go 'off' it takes me back to when I was a kid. Nothing wrong with that.

In the morning, the tench rod comes out with a little float and the world is a fine place.
Luv it, absolute quality, takes me back in time aswell, I've still got a set of three original delkim's , these I used back in the 80's when I was a complete carp nut on the famous wraysbury pit no: 1 , the last fish I caught from there and on one of me delkim's was the well known " Mary's mate " which I had at 36.5lb :Hat:

Stuart
And did she fight as hard as her reputation suggested? Would dearly have love to fish Wraysbury during this period.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Hovis wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:

Stuart
And did she fight as hard as her reputation suggested? Would dearly have love to fish Wraysbury during this period.
Cor mate, did she, 35-40 minutes later I managed to land her, I struck into her at about 90 Yards tight to one of the islands, she decided to kite to the right and literally tried to take me around the back of the island but can tell you that she was definitely the hardest fighting carp I've ever had, she fought equally as good as any 20-30lb common I've ever had and if you know your carp you'll obviously know that commons generally fight harder, this fish just simply ploughed through everything like a tank , she sadly past away only a few years ago :Hat:

Stuart

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Harry H wrote:They're not for me but for those who still do a bit of night fishing need something to wake them from their slumbers. For me there's nothing quite like a ratchet on an Aerial for getting your attention while waiting for a bite. :Thumb:
The rachet on the aerial is most refined. So refined I can't hear it a few yards away. My failing hearing demands the coarse shout of the Speedia. Last heard a couple of days ago when a perch, I assume, self hooked on a simple running ledger. All set up to fish off the tip, I was sorting something out elsewhere when than familiar sound from my overstuffed commercial of last year brought back memories. Tip wanging away and staccato bursts from the reel. Heaven :Hahaha: . Lost it in snags that prevail in this old clay/gravel pit...

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Beryl wrote:
Harry H wrote:They're not for me but for those who still do a bit of night fishing need something to wake them from their slumbers. For me there's nothing quite like a ratchet on an Aerial for getting your attention while waiting for a bite. :Thumb:
The rachet on the aerial is most refined. So refined I can't hear it a few yards away. My failing hearing demands the coarse shout of the Speedia. Last heard a couple of days ago when a perch, I assume, self hooked on a simple running ledger. All set up to fish off the tip, I was sorting something out elsewhere when than familiar sound from my overstuffed commercial of last year brought back memories. Tip wanging away and staccato bursts from the reel. Heaven :Hahaha: . Lost it in snags that prevail in this old clay/gravel pit...
Mine is a 1930ish Popular which has a ratchet to wake the dead :Hahaha:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”