Float winders, how do you attach the line?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mark_N
Bleak

Float winders, how do you attach the line?

Post by Mark_N »

I know this is a potentially silly question.

I get what the winders do, what I don't get is how much line you put on it and how you attach the line on them to your main line.
I presume you knot it, but I always try to avoid having knots above the float as it can catch in the rod rings and the know can break.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Float winders, how do you attach the line?

Post by Vole »

I use winders for rigs which are about a yard or more shorter than the rod, so that the knots-in-the-rings problem shouldn't be a problem; I use the standard loop-to-loop to connect them, and ensure the reel-line loop is big enough to pass the winder through. Did the air turn blue when I discovered that one the hard/stupid way...
Longer rigs are better made up on the bank, I feel. Of course, you can always slide a "double rubber" float up past the knots to fish deep, and back again to store it.
I like rigs for whips to be about half-a-yard to a yard shorter than the whip, so a fish comes straight to hand with the tip slightly bent. If you make them up to suit your shortest whip, they can be lengthened with a "topping" of stronger line loop-to-looped on.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I make mine about 7 feet after that in deeper water I just slide the float above the knot. Its important the length is less than the rod length as the joining knot gets caught in the tip guides and stops smooth casting.
I make all my rigs up on winders and tie a loop in the top of float line, and attach to the reel line with a simple blood knot through the loop.
it takes minutes to do and is in my opinion a lot better than rigging up on the bank.
I even have the hook tied on as well ready to start all on the winder.

MA

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Nice for pole type fishing but too many knots for me when using a running line - could lose my favourite (or expensive) float.

Hook lengths of for all sorts of fish are stored on a winder of sorts - wrapped around a piece of pipe lagging.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've fished this way only for a good few years now...I just like winders.

I usually make them up with a swim in mind, but they are rarely more then 6 feet long. If I do need more then six feet I just have to move the float and locking shot up along to the mainline, but it rarely happens.

I put a loop on the end of the rig line using a figure of eight loop knot:

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Time ... loop-knot/

I did initially try to put the same loop knot on the end of the reel line but passing an entire rig through a loop got on my nerves, so for many years I have tied the reel line to the loop with a five turn clinch knot:

http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedcl ... crollPoint

I do use 6 or 7 turns with fine lines.

I can put my hand on my heart and say I haven't had a break on either knot once! And I don't always have a hooklength either...the figure of eight loop knot is without peer.

I keep the tails long on both loop and clinch knots and if they are going into the top rod eye they usually shake out again, but if it's a problem I shorten the rig. This might be why these are the only two knots I can remember without getting out the knot card...apart from the knotless knot..I can remember that one too.

Depending on the line used, I often put a 'back shot' on the rig line near the loop...a pinched on No. 8 ( or similar) shot to help sink the line. This can be adjusted if the float sits lower after an hours fishing as the line takes on water and becomes less buoyant, by moving the shot away from the float and closer to the loop knot. Old Billy Lane trick.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Don't take the rig off the winder, just undo the rig's loop from whatever's anchoring it (I use a bit of pVC tape), run it over the reel-line loop, unwind one turn of the rig , then post the whole winder through the reel-line loop.
Then unwind the rig from the winder.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

Thanks for the replies.
It does seem like a really easy way to set up.
I will put some winders on my wish list and have a go.

Just out of interest. Has anyone ever lost a complete rig due to a knot failing?
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've never had the two knots I mentioned fail in these circumstances....the long tails help if the clinch knot slips as they can with fluorocarbon line. I used to have some concerns about doing it this way but not anymore.

Vole, most of my rigs are on 4 winder shot and cap holders, I'd need an awfully big loop to get them through one of those...... ;-)

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Mark_N wrote:Thanks for the replies.
It does seem like a really easy way to set up.
I will put some winders on my wish list and have a go.

Just out of interest. Has anyone ever lost a complete rig due to a knot failing?

NO never the hook link goes first being a weaker bs.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

"Vole, most of my rigs are on 4 winder shot and cap holders, I'd need an awfully big loop to get them through one of those...... ;-)"

Ah, I see. Sorry - I hadn't considered those.
One could, I suppose, carry an empty single winder as an intermediate... and make a virtue out of an emburgerance by being able to carry home the new, more successful rig* that one always seems to have to make at the bankside.

*OK, the replacement for the one I tangled beyond salvage...

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”