Rod rests 2

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Scott Thompson

Rod rests 2

Post by Scott Thompson »

I found the rod rest thread very interesting, but for anyone wanting a simple traditional looking rod rest and doesnt mind a tiny bit of work this is what you do:

Go to your local Wilkinson's or garden centre, buy a couple of those bamboo hoops they sell for growing your plants up.
Like this

Cut it in half at the top of the bend, take the 2 halfs and put them back to back and theres your simple rod rest.

Now its up to you how you stick them together, for the people that loose them regular i would suggest electrical tape, glue is an option, when i get time i'll whip mine together (perhaps a few intermediates) the end can either be roughly sharpened or even glued into a point from an old aluminium rest, or for some perhaps turn a nice brass spike.
Im sure some Andrew Field type whipping would turn them into something very nice.
Some people might go the whole way and plane the bamboo then glue and whip the 2 halfs together forming a nice round bankstick, how far you want to go is up to you.

Either way its very simple, Wilkinsons sell them in 2, 3 and 5ft lengths, the 2ft cost £1.05 for 3

St.John
Tench

Re: Rod rests 2

Post by St.John »

I like that! Well done! Something i was thinking was deer antler tops......
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Brill!! I'll have a go at this. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

st.john wrote:I like that! Well done! Something i was thinking was deer antler tops......
I've seen antlers used as bow rests at traditional longbow archery tournaments. I've also seen broadswords used for the same thing. Now there's a thought - imagine the reaction you'd get on the riverbank if your rod was resting on the hilt of one of these:
Broadsword.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”