Butt swingers

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Marc
Sea Trout

Butt swingers

Post by Marc »

Tee hee.

This forum and angling is a strange old thing from time to time, when a man you've never met sends you 'butt swingers' through the post and my better half reads the letter accompanying them, I should imagine to the uninitiated it may seem quite odd.

Anyway, the very kind Mr PaulD did this very thing and they have arrived. My question, and to a certain extent Pauls, is how do you fish with them and where on the rod do you attach them?

As you can see from the image the clips seem far too small to go around the butt section of a rod, where I'd naturally think of putting one, so has anyone got the foggiest?

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Butt swingers

Post by Marc »

Here's the full 'swingers' for clarification.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

They fit on to the butt rod rest then clip them on the line and fish with them hanging down and they will lift to indicate a bite,I think :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Harry,

I think not, they are supposed to clip on the rod above the butt ring, I.e. Between the 1St and 2nd rings. They don't work very well and are prone to tangling. A solution looking for a problem :-)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They are "reverse" ones! The line goes through the tip ring which is facing towards you not away from you - like modern carp "Swingers".
Or change the size of the clips! I do note that the end ring on the swinger opens to allow you to remove the indicator without having to re-thread your line thru' the rod rings.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

See, my first thought was they attach to a rest, however the line will then be attached to the rest and I get enough tangles with the wonder that is monofilament. As Olly points out they clip onto the line with a jewellery type clasp. They are intended for bite indication and they are old enough to be from the era of cane and fibreglass, so there must be a rod or position on the rod that they attach.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Mine have 'A Maison Bois bite indicator Pat Pend' impressed into the stem but the clip that fits on the rod looks larger on mine. Here is a link to my one placed on a rod of mine, it is fitted near the butt for show.

viewtopic.php?t=18039

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They are dont worry about that! The indicator was designed about the time glass was starting to be used - I think.

The clips - I always forget the actual name - are available in a variety of sizes. Just found it "Terry Clips".

Remember that you can attach it anywhere the clip will fit on the rod - between the butt & first ring as previously stated or higher up. It is not designed to fit between the reel and the butt ring. The way the bail arm rotates makes that impracticable!

I have found The "Instantell" bite indicator, which is identical to a Fox Swinger, in the 1965 Allcocks Catalogue. Item B220. This however was designed to be attached to a rod rest and unclips as you strike.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Reedling wrote:Mine have 'A Maison Bois bite indicator Pat Pend' impressed into the stem but the clip that fits on the rod looks larger on mine. Here is a link to my one placed on a rod of mine, it is fitted near the butt for show.

viewtopic.php?t=18039
These also have that impressed onto them I have one of these, which I believe is the same principle, but without being able to unclip the line.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

This is a "backbiter". Looks home made. There are plenty of clips to put on the end from Kirby Grips to tailor made adjustable ones for carpers. Something that needs to be done before you can use it.

It is used mainly for piking with an open bail arm and is attached to the back rod rest with the clip next to the spool.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”