Fastening a creel?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Fastening a creel?

Post by Kevanf1 »

I'm finally getting around to putting my two wicker creels back into use. Ok, some of you may recall I mentioned these something like 3 or 4 years ago... I'll health and simply not being able to get to them stopped work on them sadly. I had got as far as refreshing them both with a noxious linseed oil and vinegar mix (unlike Mark's vegetable oil :Thumb: ) then they got put away. I was told that I would be able to get to both of these creels at any time I wanted. They were ensconced in a built in cupboard in my youngest daughter's bedroom. Needless to say tons of rubbish was piled against the door and they were inaccessible for all this time :Angry: Well, daughter has now left home and my creels are once again available together with many rods and other stuff I had forgotten about.

Now, after all that waffle, sorry, I finally get to asking for the advice. I shall use a pair of leather cat/small dog collars for the rear hinges on these creels as the wicker ones have seen much better days. I am not sure what to use as a front fastener though. I could use another leather collar and buckle it together. I'd rather use something a bit different to the rear hinges though, just so that it is 'different'. But what? Any suggestions?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Fastening a creel?

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello Kevin.
Had a very similar problem some years ago when deciding to revamp an old creel, I found the hinges the biggest problem as cycle basket straps where too thin at my local cycle shop and expensive! But over come this by using dog chew hide, soaked in hot water to make it pliable and then once soft and malleable wrapped around the two cane cross members to make a very durable hinge. While still soft the hide can be sown and once dry and hard stained using a wood dye (ie Indian Rosewood) in this case. The fastener is a sliding bamboo bolt, simple and pleasing to the eye.

The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I hadn't even thought about cycle basket straps :) The straps I have found are more substantial than that though anyway. They don't really need to be super tough just capable of acting as a hinge. I do like that bamboo bolt :) sadly I don't have the wicker hoops on either of mine to do it this way :( I'll come up with something..... Currently fixing my laptop cooling pad. So I can think about fastenings while sorting the electrics on this as it's easy and standard stuff.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Stour Otter wrote:Hello Kevin.
Had a very similar problem some years ago when deciding to revamp an old creel, I found the hinges the biggest problem as cycle basket straps where too thin at my local cycle shop and expensive! But over come this by using dog chew hide, soaked in hot water to make it pliable and then once soft and malleable wrapped around the two cane cross members to make a very durable hinge. While still soft the hide can be sown and once dry and hard stained using a wood dye (ie Indian Rosewood) in this case. The fastener is a sliding bamboo bolt, simple and pleasing to the eye.

That is a stroke of genius Sir :Hat:

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I'm now pondering a toggle or maybe two similar to those used on 'duffle coats'. A leather loop and a bone or dowel pin.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”