How do I....?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Aitch
Pike

How do I....?

Post by Aitch »

On wednesday I attended the funeral of my mother... and now on clearing her house, I discovered something that brought a tear to my eye with a warm memory.... In the kitchen was my old fishing chair, that I first used in Malta in 1962....
It was a little folding wooden chair, but it had been stored in a cupboard next to the oven... it was dusty, greasy and filthy.... So... to the thread title... how do I.... best clean it without ruining it...?

Hot water and detergent...? A mild solvent....? Once clean I was going to give it a coating of beeswax to preserve it as best I can, but I really want to save this piece of mine and my mums past...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: How do I....?

Post by Duebel »

My condolences, Harry.
Try to get as much of the dirt off without any water. I'd use a card scraper or a chisel (using it scratching not cutting!). As soon as there's no more soft material sticking to the wood, try to go on cleaning with a brush and abrasive paper.
For the finish I'd recommend oil rather then bees wax as wax stops the wood from being able to breath and the dampness outdoors might cause damage. Before you apply anything you should have removed all old varnish, wax or what ever the chair was treated with.
Well, that's what a joiner (my profession) would recommend at last.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Thank you Martin...I'll pick up some light sandpaper and gently rub it down... would you reccommend linseed oil?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

You could try sugarsoap and a stiff bristle brush, anything size wise from a toothbrush to a nail brush. I would also use some eye protection as a brush tends to spray it about a bit.
My condolences to you and your family for your loss of your mother. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Harry wrote:Thank you Martin...I'll pick up some light sandpaper and gently rub it down... would you reccommend linseed oil?
I've just had a quick look at what kind of oil you can get easily in the UK. It seems that indeed linseed oil is the product to look for. In Germany we use more processed oils (it's basocally linseed oil with additives) but I couldn't find any sellers in the UK for the brands O usually work with. Just make sure that there's no wax added.
When you use linseed oil make sure that the soaked cloth is put into an air tight container. It tends to start to burn if you don't pay attention. I've tried it, believe me!
Try to get the chair as clean as possible before you use sandpaper. The paper won't work with too much dirt.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Many condolences. I would pour a bottle of Cif all over the grease and leave overnight. In the morning the grease will come off very easily with a wet cloth. Then leave a few hours to dry, and then rub down with fine sand paper, after which a few coats of Danish Oil.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”