Breaking Strain

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
NiceRoach
Eel

Breaking Strain

Post by NiceRoach »

I'm going to be fishing a mainly carp fishery next week and tackle will be a cane carp rod and a Mitchell 300.

The reel needs new line and the fish can reach double figures but are generally smaller.

What breaking strain line and or brand would anyone care to recommend I use?
niceroach

CWK
Perch

Re: Breaking Strain

Post by CWK »

It rather depends upon the venue . Is it very snaggy , are there mussel beds etc . Normally for the size of fish you mention when using a cane rod 8lbs test should be adequate . Good old Maxima is probably as good as any and cheap as chips ..

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I use the same as above have not had any problems :Hat: mike

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The best lines I have found without a doubt are made by Shimano. I use 8lb Technium for carp and Aero Match for general float fishing.

I do still use Maxima in 12lb and 15lb bs for sea and pike fishing as it is a very reliable and abrasion resistant line.

Wal.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Thanks guys.

Should have said I'm a Maxima devotee and the water is relatively snag free with lots of open water.

Thinking about breaking strain in case I get a double figure carp when I'm using for example 5lb line?. I tend not to
target specimens and go gung ho for bites from anything.

Hence the breaking strain query.
niceroach

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've caught double figure carp in open water on 5lb line but I wouldn't recommend it as the best thing to do – since the fishery is mainly carp then I'd fish for them with stronger line. I've used Pro-Gold for many years but I can't find it in 10lbs BS so I've decided to give Diawa line a go. It's very cheap, available in brown or clear and appears to be very well respected in the 'modern' carping world.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Beresford wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm I've caught double figure carp in open water on 5lb line but I wouldn't recommend it as the best thing to do – since the fishery is mainly carp then I'd fish for them with stronger line. I've used Pro-Gold for many years but I can't find it in 10lbs BS so I've decided to give Diawa line a go. It's very cheap, available in brown or clear and appears to be very well respected in the 'modern' carping world.
I've compromised kind of and loaded up some 8lb ' made in germany ' stuff I found in my tackle dump so I'll give it a go. Spare spools with varying breaking strains I guess covers matters. :tea:
niceroach

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”