A small but weighty matter..

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: A small but weighty matter..

Post by Watermole+ »

SkimmingTheCream wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 pm Very nice Watermole :Hat:
Was the original made in a mould rather than machined ?
Trevor
Yes Trevor, by looking at the old original, I would say that they were definitely cast in moulds.

I have just learnt that copper may be toxic to fish so will make some more from brass (which does contain copper but as an alloy).

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Very nice indeed WM. Lovely.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They look so nice in the copper though. Could they be set in resin? Anybody any experience of resin moulding?

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/casting-resins.html

I have some imitation flowers around the house, with the flower set in resin in a glass to look as though it were mere water.

The world is full of new toys these days......and I want them all! I wonder if one could cast those Match Aerial arbour sections you once made, Leszek?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

double post, sorry. The site is 'hanging' badly today.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Utterly beautiful WM+. :Hat:
Don't worry about copper metal being toxic, it's not. Copper compounds are toxic but the metal is so unreactive with water there won't be a problem, just as we don't suffer poisoning from water passing through copper water pipes. Same applies to lead and mercury - the metals are not toxic. Vapours and compounds are a different matter. :Scared: Remember that brass is 60% copper so it is still there. Stick with copper... :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nobby wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:00 am They look so nice in the copper though. Could they be set in resin? Anybody any experience of resin moulding?

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/casting-resins.html

I have some imitation flowers around the house, with the flower set in resin in a glass to look as though it were mere water.

The world is full of new toys these days......and I want them all! I wonder if one could cast those Match Aerial arbour sections you once made, Leszek?
Encasing objects in resin is quite straight forward Nobby. To do a plummet you'd need to pour a small amount as a base, let it set then put the plummet on top and fill the container. No 'join' is visible. I did my son's dead scorpion once but, because it hadn't quite dried, some body fluids coloured the resin yellow.... but it was still a cool paper weight. I'm certain that many fishing objects would look attractive if preserved in resin.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Apologies, then if copper isn't toxic in the aquatic environment...I read that it was when I kept tropical fish years ago. A search on Google suggest that it is, but it's a subject I have no understanding of.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

They are way too good to drop into water.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Excellent WM+; a truly delightful idea to take a simple functional item and change it into a thing of beauty. I imagine they come with a suitable label advising both fish and people not to swallow them......

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 pm Apologies, then if copper isn't toxic in the aquatic environment...I read that it was when I kept tropical fish years ago. A search on Google suggest that it is, but it's a subject I have no understanding of.

The problem with the toxicity issue is that references to copper, lead etc being toxic refer to their ions (as compounds) not the metals themselves as the metal cannot interact with biological systems. If you ingested lumps of lead, copper or even drank mercury they would just pass through you as they are not affected by gastric juices so do not react and are not absorbed (lots of cases of toddlers swallowing copper coins).
Lead is pretty unreactive but over a long period of time could react slightly in the aquatic environment (hence banning lead water pipes), copper is less reactive and does not react with water (hence being used for water pipes etc) and mercury is less reactive still (hence being used in amalgam filings). These are all classed as heavy metals and once in compound form, their ions are highly toxic to all living things although toxicity is about dosage and not the actual substance. Everything is toxic at a high enough dosage...
The dosages to kill 50% of average men (assuming we are similar to rats!) are
Caffeine: around 170 cups of coffee.
Salt: about 1/2 lb
Ethanol: just over a pint of 40% spirits, 20 pints of beer.
Citric acid: 15,000 oranges.
Sugar: 5lbs.
Water: 15 pints
These would all need to be consumed rapidly before any is excreted.

I definitely think WM+ should go ahead and stick to copper plummets....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”