Homemade Swing tip

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Tonytoned
Grayling

Homemade Swing tip

Post by Tonytoned » Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Hello there

I've just purchased a little job lot of homemade fishing tackle and was totally intrigued by this swing tip that was among the bits. Ingenious comes to mind. It looks like someone has taken a short length of curtain wire, (the type you hang net curtains from), stripped back the plastic coating, whipped a couple of eyes on and soldered a screw fitting for attaching to a swing tip end eye. Would you re-whip or just give the old whipping a coat of varnish?

Another little piece of cheap history. I love it

:Hat:

Olly
Barbel

Re: Homemade Swing tip

Post by Olly » Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm

It is a spring tip or supposed to be? Made them myself from my Grandma's curtain tracks - I may still have one!

The curtain wire was stiff and springy certainly not limp - seems to have lost it's mojo! Possibly because the wire is too long - needs to be about 1in between the rod tip and the hard part which has a couple of rings.

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Thu May 10, 2018 6:26 pm

That is just so clever!
I like to fettle stuff but sometimes its almost nicer just to leave it as is?
I would maybe just varnish the original whippings if they are sound, see how it looks and only re whip if you are unhappy with the finish achieved?
This is a great example of vintage fishing ingenuity, I love it too!

Tonytoned
Grayling

Post by Tonytoned » Thu May 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Olly wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm
It is a spring tip or supposed to be? Made them myself from my Grandma's curtain tracks - I may still have one!

The curtain wire was stiff and springy certainly not limp - seems to have lost it's mojo! Possibly because the wire is too long - needs to be about 1in between the rod tip and the hard part which has a couple of rings.
Thank you Olly. I did think it was more like a spring tip. I will probably leave it as is and just varnish the whipping.

Tonytoned
Grayling

Post by Tonytoned » Thu May 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:26 pm
That is just so clever!
I like to fettle stuff but sometimes its almost nicer just to leave it as is?
I would maybe just varnish the original whippings if they are sound, see how it looks and only re whip if you are unhappy with the finish achieved?
This is a great example of vintage fishing ingenuity, I love it too!
Thank you Jeremy. I tend to agree with you. I will probably seal the whipping then varnish it. I think it's brilliant. The thought that someone has made that.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”