Homemade Swing tip

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Homemade Swing tip

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello there

I've just purchased a little job lot of homemade fishing tackle and was totally intrigued by this swing tip that was among the bits. Ingenious comes to mind. It looks like someone has taken a short length of curtain wire, (the type you hang net curtains from), stripped back the plastic coating, whipped a couple of eyes on and soldered a screw fitting for attaching to a swing tip end eye. Would you re-whip or just give the old whipping a coat of varnish?

Another little piece of cheap history. I love it

:Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Homemade Swing tip

Post by Olly »

It is a spring tip or supposed to be? Made them myself from my Grandma's curtain tracks - I may still have one!

The curtain wire was stiff and springy certainly not limp - seems to have lost it's mojo! Possibly because the wire is too long - needs to be about 1in between the rod tip and the hard part which has a couple of rings.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That is just so clever!
I like to fettle stuff but sometimes its almost nicer just to leave it as is?
I would maybe just varnish the original whippings if they are sound, see how it looks and only re whip if you are unhappy with the finish achieved?
This is a great example of vintage fishing ingenuity, I love it too!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Olly wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm It is a spring tip or supposed to be? Made them myself from my Grandma's curtain tracks - I may still have one!

The curtain wire was stiff and springy certainly not limp - seems to have lost it's mojo! Possibly because the wire is too long - needs to be about 1in between the rod tip and the hard part which has a couple of rings.
Thank you Olly. I did think it was more like a spring tip. I will probably leave it as is and just varnish the whipping.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:26 pm That is just so clever!
I like to fettle stuff but sometimes its almost nicer just to leave it as is?
I would maybe just varnish the original whippings if they are sound, see how it looks and only re whip if you are unhappy with the finish achieved?
This is a great example of vintage fishing ingenuity, I love it too!
Thank you Jeremy. I tend to agree with you. I will probably seal the whipping then varnish it. I think it's brilliant. The thought that someone has made that.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I bought a job lot of rod parts from a boot sale, amongst which was a trout rod, minus the tip. I wondered if I could make a tip from a quill that would be able to take a carp. Turns out it can with some minor modifications involving another bit of quill, some thread and a bit of glue. This 3lb carp bent the quill at more than 45 degrees, but didn't give up. Very pleased with the end result and further research will now commence. Next step, a complete quill rod (maybe??)
Perhaps I have too much time of my hands, but someone has to do it :Hahaha:
Cane
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Very interesting reading Cane. I've never come across anything like that. I watch with intrigue. Nice Common too. Thank you.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Very interesting reading Cane. I've never come across anything like that. I watch with intrigue. Nice Common too. Thank you.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Tonytoned wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:32 pm Very interesting reading Cane. I've never come across anything like that. I watch with intrigue. Nice Common too. Thank you.

Thanks Tonytoned. These particular carp only seem to take floating bread and that very reluctantly at this time of the year, so it was a case of stalking it for a couple of hours. It had its revenge though. It rolled and snapped the homemade float (one of my granddaughter's discarded pick up sticks, stuck through a bit of reed from the garden pond). But worth the sacrifice.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

There was a company that made a variation of those... they were called "The Pattison Springtip" they were like a quivertip inasmuch as they stayed rigid but folded under a little pressure... there were very good indicators... lost mine years ago...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”