Scales

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Tony1964

Scales

Post by Tony1964 »

I was just wondering what scales you all use, if you bother to weigh fish at all. I have several from an old Avon spring type that is soooo inacurate but fits in a small pocket, to a more modern Reuben Heaton (no not the digital one) scale that is very accurate but too bulky to carry about on stalking trips.
Last edited by Tony1964 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Scales

Post by Snape »

Usually Reuben Heaton Mk2 (not digital) but I also have a brass cylinder balance to go up to 10lb.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've got a set of Avons and another similar but smaller set. Both in as new condition. I don't always take them with me.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

40lb Avon dial scales and three Salter brass tube balances - 8lb x 1oz, 20lb x 4oz, 30lb x 4oz. Avons weigh 2-3 oz light at twenty pounds, the Salters are accurate within readable range (tested the 8lb one against official brass weights once used by MAFF and it was bang on).

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I use the Reuben Heaton Waymaster Flyweight scales.
They're small and light, but still weigh up to 40 pounds in 1oz increments (twice round the dial).
I couldn't vouch for there accuracy as I've never tested them, but Reuben's are usually pretty good and I usually round to the nearest quarter or half pound etc anyway (always down, never up, honest :wink: )

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

Blackadder wrote:I use the Reuben Heaton Waymaster Flyweight scales.
They're small and light, but still weigh up to 40 pounds in 1oz increments (twice round the dial).
I couldn't vouch for there accuracy as I've never tested them, but Reuben's are usually pretty good and I usually round to the nearest quarter or half pound etc anyway (always down, never up, honest :wink: )
ive got these as well

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

My Korda Reubens are up for sale on Ebay as we speak, horrible plastic lifeless things they are.

So I'm in the market for some tubular brass ones, maybe up to 20 or 30lbs. So if anyone sees any if they could keep me posted be much appreciated.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:My Korda Reubens are up for sale on Ebay as we speak, horrible plastic lifeless things they are.

So I'm in the market for some tubular brass ones, maybe up to 20 or 30lbs. So if anyone sees any if they could keep me posted be much appreciated.
I reckon you'll need these for Redmire with a chance of the long common putting in an appearance!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-VINTAGE ... 500wt_1413
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I have these, but they only go up to about 32lbs or so but check out the original box they came in. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290726489438? ... 1497.l2648
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”