The canvas gas mask bag

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Cane
Grayling

Re: The canvas gas mask bag

Post by Cane »

This my gas mask bag. I think I picked it up in the late ‘70’s from somewhere.
I replaced the worn out strap a few years ago. The leather piece was intended to stop the flap curling over and letting things fall out. It also acts as an extra pocket. The additional little bag is to hold a spare reel, or a sandwich. The other bits of string etc are for holding the net and other items that won’t fit inside. The little side pocket ( opposite side to the metal disc that holds spare string, or line), is used to support the butt of a telescopic rod, when I take it on holidays abroad. This used to be my “emergency fishing bag.” Very useful when I lived opposite a lake and only had an hour of daylight, when getting home from work. I recently went back to using it again, as I was finding backpacks were getting heavier each time I went out. Now I have to be minimalist. Sort of anyway. :Chuckle:Image
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I never thought I would write about my valued kit! I have a ww2 gas mask case purchased in about 1960 as issued.(I regret taking the cord off and of course lost it) that tied it to the wearers chest.........This was my only fishing bag that I used for many years. Along the way I collected two haversacks,and one ammo pouch, again ex military.One civilian gas mask case with a cut out for essential tin hat. In all these I keep just some of the stay at home for now tackle.They are just indestructible save fire! The gas mask case is used frequently its the best shopping bag for boot sales and fairs. I get the odd sarcastic comment but I don't mind that...... Say "hi" next time you see the old git around the Romsey Tackle Fair equiped or the next air raid.... Regards Tony : :Sun:

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Not a military bag but an old 'friend' forever immortalised in an illustration for a Waterlog articleImage

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

By coincidence I've just bought another canvas bag. I've had one for many years which I use when fishing the Yorkshire rock marks where you are on the move. That's the one on the right. It's big enough for some spare leads, hooks, line, bait and a few other oddments. I recently used it when lure fishing but it was a bit small to hold my lure box, drop-shotting box, camera, scales etc. The new, on the left is amply big enough. My trout bag is even larger so a bit too big also I don't particularly want to tip everything out.

I think a simple canvas bag is easily good enough most of the time. It would be quite easy to waterproof if required.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

You can still get some decent ex military gas mask cases, those issued to the Finnish Army are quite good and the come in a range of green / brown hues.

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

These gas mask bags, when not in use for fishing, can be used to carry your Corona virus respirator when going out.

Dom. :Cool:

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

I do indeed . The first bag I carried my meagre tackle in when first introduced to fishing with my Dad.
As Cat says elsewhere you can still get them in a certain place and I bought both Dad and myself one a few years back. Happy memories, sadly he passed away a few weeks ago and my youngest will now inherit it and relive the old pleasure again hopefully.
I’m about to transfer my stuff from the summer creel to the winter gas mask bag as the weather gets damper :Wink:Image
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

RobGoodwin wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:08 pm Who started off their fishing carrying their kit in a canvas gas mask bag? I subsequently graduated from the gas mask bag to the khaki ex-army canvas haversack. I had a light alloy folding garden chair which was retained under the straps of the haversack, as was the folded triangular landing net. My Edgar Sealy Octofloat split cane rod, landing net handle, and home-made rod rest were lashed to the crossbar of my trusty push bike (Sturmey-Archer 3 speed gears naturally). Sustained by cheese and onion sandwiches and a bottle of dandelion + burdock, and protected from the elements by a cheap Boyes, Pac-O-mac, I thought nothing of 12 miles each way and an 8 or 9 hour session between. I'd end up in intensive care if I tried it now!
Great memories! As I was born in February 1945 (the war was still on) my first rod in 1952 was made from a tank aerial! My Uncle took me to fish in the Regent's Canal by London Zoo and I was hooked from then on! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I had one of these gas mask cases as my first tackle bag. It was my Dad’s, whether his actual army issue or not I never knew. I was born in 56 just 11 years after the war so I suppose by the time I was fishing most households still had these to hand whether miItary or civil defence issued.

My meagre tackle fitted into it with room to spare. But what I remember of it with utter clarity after all these years, along with the string keepnet is.........the SMELL.

That slightly musty, dusty, odour just makes the years fall way and vibrant memories crowd out the modern day Crap :oops:

Wish I still had it. :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I agree that musty smell will stay in your memory forever, a bit like moth balls! :Hahaha:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”