Home made rod rests

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Rich

Home made rod rests

Post by Rich »

I think I must have provided every "mud lark" in London with a rod rest! It happens several times a year when a nice fish sends my bundle of bean poles flying across the bank as I watch the rod rest bubble out of sight making its way to Southend!!
Here is one almost ready to loose. Very easy to make from walking stick parts. The actual rest is a turned down thumb stick head made from Buffalo Horn although several materials are on the market including some nice wood ones. The main body is a standard garden cane with the nodes removed and flamed to temper and straighten. The sections are joined together with a bit of glass fibre tube with horn spacers. A couple of the joints use a screw ferrule to allow the stick to be used at different lengths. The final bit the spike is a cut down aluminium bank stick although I have used hard wood or brass on occasions.
There are a lot of people selling the bits but i have found this supplier helpful:
http://www.rerrickstickmakingsupplies.c ... %20handles

I am sure with a little effort anyone could create a first class job for very little money have a go and if you need any help just pm me
Tight Lines
Rich.

Trevor
Eel

Re: Home made rod rests

Post by Trevor »

Very nice Rich.
I may give that a go

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Some interesting stuff there Rich. Thanks.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

great stuff and the website looks good too although the buffalo horns will make the rod rest quite dear, would be more inclined to rummage in the wilderness for a decent bit of wood that I could dry out whip and varnish
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”