swing/quiver tips for cane

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Re: swing/quiver tips for cane

Post by Kevanf1 »

I used to set my tips up to show both normal and drop back bites. All I did was wind the line in until it just raised the tip by about an inch or two. This way I could see if it went further out or it dropped back. I never used to set it up with the tip in the water though? That's a different method. I presume it helps to steady it in adverse windy conditions?

I still have a (swing) tip that I bought when I was around 13 or 14. It came with three 'L' shaped rubber tubes. Each one progressively stiffer than the other. They were (are) interchangeable according to conditions without having to dismantle the end tackle. Very good idea and I don't know why it wasn't more widely used???
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

" I used to set my tips up to show both normal and drop back bites. All I did was wind the line in until it just raised the tip by about an inch or two. This way I could see if it went further out or it dropped back. I never used to set it up with the tip in the water though? That's a different method. I presume it helps to steady it in adverse windy conditions?

I still have a (swing) tip that I bought when I was around 13 or 14. It came with three 'L' shaped rubber tubes. Each one progressively stiffer than the other. They were (are) interchangeable according to conditions without having to dismantle the end tackle. Very good idea and I don't know why it wasn't more widely used???"

These can still be obtained from .guidesnblanks.com, plus the 8BA screw in parts for both swingtips and quivertips, I have just finished my first home made split cane swingtip, and springtip, I will take some photo's tomorrow and add them to this post.

Last edited by Rod on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

To get a bit more weight for running water - knitting needles in various sizes/weights. Cane float stems were used as well.

SensiDave

Post by SensiDave »

I try to use my Dick Walker rod as much as possible, (I usually target Carp and Tench in the 5-10lb range), but I could never quite bring myself to use a clip on or fit a screwed end eye. Instead I position the rod with the tip about two feet above the water and at an angle to take advantage of the prevailing light conditions, then having tightened the line after casting slacken off until the line between rod and water is almost vertical. Watching the line is as easy as watching a swing tip or similar and, I think, offers even less resistance to the taking fish.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I used a home made But indicator last Friday and had some nice Perch and Roach on it. However, cast was impeded and I could not cast far. It took a bit of getting used to and I did crack off on one of the casts.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That may have been because you did an overhead cast - 90% guaranteed crack off!

Cast slightly with the rod at 45 degrees away from overhead, less tangling like that. The swing tip is away from the rod tip and avoids tangles.
Cast firmly but not "violently" - takes a bit of practice but ----- persevere!

You could of course adapt the swing tip to a butt swingtip? Great in very windy conditions with the tip touching or in the water - under the waves!

SensiDave - a dough bobbin or plasticine bobbin works well - various sizes and therefore weights.
Last edited by Olly on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

SensiDave, watching the line beyond the rod tip is a method of bite-detection I have used a lot myself. As yo say it is a very sensitive method. But I think you will agree it only works in calm conditions and when there is no pull or undertow from the water. With a bit of a breeze or a bit of pull from the water, it becomes difficult. This is where the swingtip comes into its own. When the undertow becomes too strong, such as you get on a big lake in a strong wind, I have always abandoned the swingtip in favour of a butt indicator, which can be weighted more heavily,to suit the conditions.

Alan

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

I've a screw in tip ring on a Chapman 500 but prefer to use a vintage glass rod. Something about 'the strike'
just makes me more comfortable. Maybe the softness of glass, not sure :tea:
niceroach

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”