Care of wicker baskets?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Care of wicker baskets?

Post by Snape »

AndyB wrote:I pressure washed mine when I cleaned the car at my local garage and then left in the sun to dry. It tightened up the wicker nicely.
To tighten it put a brick or rock in it and lower into a pond or water butt. Leave for a while then remove and let it dry. Hey presto! one tightened wicker basket.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I have one of those big blue industrial water barrels. I used it on my allotment when I had it but it is now in the garden. This basket fits it beautifully :) Perfect for a bit of dunking..
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The last time I had a wicker basket it got very loose in the heatwave of 1976 so I used it as a bait platform in a match thinking that it would tighten up. At the end of the match it had tightened up al right, so much that the bottom fell out and I had the problem of carting my gear back to the car a mile away.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have just used the white vinegar, white spirit, boiled linseed oil mixture to coat my creel. Anyone know how long it takes to dry (become useable)?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I have a freind who I supply with eggs who is into wicker wear, I'll seek her advice on this stuff. you never know she may even offer to make me one.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

MGs wrote:I have just used the white vinegar, white spirit, boiled linseed oil mixture to coat my creel. Anyone know how long it takes to dry (become useable)?
Mine took no more than a week. I did keep it in the bathroom where it was fairly constantly kept warm. This was just after last Xmas so it was cold outside.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Kevanf1, thanks. It is too cold to want to fish at present, so a week will be fine. It is out in the garage at the moment.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Just so I don't ruin a perfectly good basket, am I dipping it in this concoction or daubing it on?
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I used a rag and an old paint brush. It took about 1/8 pint to do my average size creel

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:To tighten it put a brick or rock in it and lower into a pond or water butt. Leave for a while then remove and let it dry. Hey presto! one tightened wicker basket.
That's what I normally do, drop it in my pond with a brick or two inside for the day.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”