Care of wicker baskets?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Care of wicker baskets?

Post by Kevanf1 »

I know that there have been one or two mentions in other threads about wicker baskets. I'm wondering if we could have a definitive 'care of wicker' thread?

I understand that a wicker basket/creel can be jet washed but that seems a little extreme :) I shall get a scrubbing brush and give my newly acquired basket a good scrub with that (and some hot soapy water of course). What about after care though? Varnish would prevent me from dunking it into a tub of water to tighten the wicker up so that's out. How about a good soaking first then allow it to dry out. After that I want to proof it in some way and am thinking linseed oil perhaps?

Has anybody ever protected the legs? They look as though those rubber ferrules used for walking sticks would fit and offer some protection?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Care of wicker baskets?

Post by Santiago »

Just paint the thing with wood preservative and then you do not have to worry so much about it getting wet. But when it does get wet make sure you mop off most of the moisture and allow to dry in a dry room and not in a damp shed!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

There's a good recipe around on the forum somewhere and I can never remember it. It's three parts:

one part boiled linseed
one part white spirit
and one part…

Perhaps somebody could help?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Beresford wrote:There's a good recipe around on the forum somewhere and I can never remember it. It's three parts:

one part boiled linseed
one part white spirit
and one part…

Perhaps somebody could help?
and one part vinegar.

I have treated my two wicker baskets with this recipe, it gives them a lovely deep honey colour. Make sure it's boiled Linseed and not raw though.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I treat mine with two coats of woodworm killer as soon as i get them.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Thank you gentlemen :) What vinegar would it be? I'm presuming something like a white vinegar not a malt one? Malt would be a tad whiffy? While my favourite balsamic would be hellishly expensive (the stuff I like costs £5 a bottle and that's a small bottle).
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Yes white vinegar is I think what I used Kevan.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Righto, I have the other stuff already. I use linseed oil to rub into the handles of my garden tools. It does wonders on them but only the wooden ones. For some reason it doesn't soak into the plastic or fibreglass handled tools :D

Clean and soak first I think. Good job I have one of those big blue industrial water butts, it's perfect for dunking the basket in.... just about anyway.

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

I pressure washed mine when I cleaned the car at my local garage and then left in the sun to dry. It tightened up the wicker nicely.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm guessing the vinegar is to kill bacteria with its acidity, in which case I'd think Distilled Vinegar or Pickling Vinegar would be best as they have a higher acidity.

I think it was Haydn who had the 'recipe', perhaps he'll be along soon....

I fear soaking a creel in vinegar would just make me hungry........

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”