An important piece of angling history

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Gurn
Chub

Re: An important piece of angling history

Post by Gurn »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
Snape wrote:CY's entry in the Redmire log
Says it all...

After all of these years John has finally written the account of netting Chris's fish with the story obviously being told through his own eyes. Of him being so helplessly stuck waist deep in silt knowing it was his responsibility to net what was so obviously the next record carp that was stuck grounded in the mud. Having heard him tell the tale a couple of times I still want to read the words.

Chris Yates's words...
"This was easily the most impressive piece of netting I've ever seen. In his impossible position, John knew that he only had one opportunity to net what was obviously a record fish. One chance was all he needed".

Would love to read his account. His chapter in 'For The Love Of Carp' has always brought the pool to life for me.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I remember one of the angling a rags once ran a monthly series on the tales of all the record carp in their own words (not the carps words, the anglers) up to and including Mr Yates. It was wonderful to read about the excitement and triumph. A passion for angling was still fresh from the cutting room floor at the time and CY and BJ were at the height of their fame. Brilliant series that I introduced me as a young teenager to the likes of walker.
Oh and bagsy next sniff of the net. Mmmmmmmm carpy.....
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Thanks for sharing this Shaun. :Thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Just added a few more pictures of some of the 'Traditional Gear' John still uses on his annual pilgrimage to Redmire here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5928

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Brilliant Shaun,

Apologies for mispelling your name earlier.

Gaz

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

No issue, I have got used to that one over the years :roll:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Been talking to John Carver to-day and hadn't realised that Chris Yates didn't actually have a landing net with him when he hooked 'The Bishop'. John was amazed it was still on by the time he got around the pool with his net. Could you imagine the disbelievers if Chris had lost a big mirror that he estimated to be easily 50lb?

It was never landed again although it was hooked and lost at least once after Chris broke the record with it. If John hadn't got around there and buried himself in silt trying to scoop the grounded fish Ritchie MaCdonald would have held the record after Richard Walker with Basil from Yately North Lake. History can run a very different course all so very easily.

I hadn't realised that Chris didn't have his net so thought I would add it to this post about the net and other things whilst the net that netted it sits to my side right now.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

My how things could have been different.....
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I would say there would be less traditionalists in this world of angling. Chris inspired so many but would not have had the same exposure hadn't he landed 'The Old 38' at a record weight.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

However if things had turned out differently and he had not caught the Bishop , CY may have carried on determinedly carp fishing at Redmire for a little longer , and possibly have landed the black Queen ( which he hooked and lost) or even the King, or possibly one of ther other uncaught fish at that time - the Castle - all of wehich were thought to be considerably larger than the Bishop.

Its just another of those unknown, what if.........................
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”