An important piece of angling history

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Leigh

Re: An important piece of angling history

Post by Leigh »

A couple of pictures of the landing net when we had the privilege of meeting Len Arbery a few years ago.
Len Arbery.jpg
Net Mesh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

And heres a picture of me holding the net from a couple of years back, yes I did have a sniff!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

And here is the net on an Admin/Mods day out back in 2014, I netted a nice carp for Stu in it.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

It's great to see John starting to use this forum, a little and lovely to see that from my first post of a picture of it here the net has obviously created great joy to many forum members who have now handled the net.

We should all be indebted to John for leaving it with me and then allowing me to pass it on to Stu' aka The Sweetcorn Kid to borrow and use for a while. It was a total pleasure and honour to help SK get permission to fish a rather special Lincolnshire water and watch him net his first U.K. cane caught 30 lb plus carp in it.

There is footage of the net and the carp here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0l4CIyQioE

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Thanks Shaun, I have looked in on here for some time, some super stuff. I think the net is now back with Len who is going to spruce it up !

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Probably deserves it's second retirement then John, now that it has done its long lap of honour.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Leigh wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:07 pm A couple of pictures of the landing net when we had the privilege of meeting Len Arbery a few years ago.

Len Arbery.jpg
Net Mesh.jpg
I'm a little intrigued by the lower picture. What landing nets are they with the wider mesh size?

For some reason the pictures have not copied on my PC but I refer to the post at the top of this page.

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 pm
Leigh wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:07 pm A couple of pictures of the landing net when we had the privilege of meeting Len Arbery a few years ago.

Len Arbery.jpg
Net Mesh.jpg
I'm a little intrigued by the lower picture. What landing nets are they with the wider mesh size?

For some reason the pictures have not copied on my PC but I refer to the post at the top of this page.
Len will know,Shaun

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

I think it's a shot taken by Shaun of my two laminated cane nets. The one on the right with the knotless mesh is a Chris Brown/Nick Buss Walker copy with a Dave Lumb lureweave mesh fitted. The net on the left is a B James net fitted with a Dr Rex Elsgood knitted (and knotted) mesh, the original mesh started to rot so a replacement was needed. Jim Hindle put me in touch with the Doctor who kindly knitted the net for me, he refused payment but I got round it by sending a cheque for him to pass on to a charity of his choice ! Contrary to what has been put in an advertisement the good Doctor did not knit nets for B James, he did it for me as I was a friend of Jim Hindle. Hope that helps Leigh ?

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

JPC wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 pm I think it's a shot taken by Shaun of my two laminated cane nets. The one on the right with the knotless mesh is a Chris Brown/Nick Buss Walker copy with a Dave Lumb lureweave mesh fitted. The net on the left is a B James net fitted with a Dr Rex Elsgood knitted (and knotted) mesh, the original mesh started to rot so a replacement was needed. Jim Hindle put me in touch with the Doctor who kindly knitted the net for me, he refused payment but I got round it by sending a cheque for him to pass on to a charity of his choice ! Contrary to what has been put in an advertisement the good Doctor did not knit nets for B James, he did it for me as I was a friend of Jim Hindle. Hope that helps Leigh ?
JPC, many thanks, I took that photograph of the landing nets when I met Len at the Moat a few years ago - As you can imagine there was a lot going on that morning and Len did explain, but I had forgotten its history.
L-Net1.jpg
L-Net2.jpg
L-Net3.jpg
L-Net4.jpg
L-Net5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”