Do you use a bivvy?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Re: Do you use a bivvy?

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Cooksey wrote:Hi there, it did get a real chore carting gear around, I never did that as a kid, so I decided to return back to basics.
What I found was a old polish tent, the beauty of it, is that you can wear it as a poncho or by using the 5 foot collapsible pole it becomes a bell tent.. And very traditional one too. These only cost £17 so you can't go wrong.
Regards,
Lawrence

Yes thats what I have, infact you start with two ponchos that then button together to create a tent with a centre pole. I use mine for over-night session when on the motorbike as it all rolls down small.

Also you can freak the hell out of other fishermen when you turn up with a companion dressed in your two olive green canvas trappist monk smocks, great at dusk!!!!

I will try and find an image....

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I so agree with most things written here; we go fishing to fish and, if you are sleeping in a tent/bivvy, no bait should be in the water, in my view. I recall a tale that Hilton at Redmire would fish into, perhaps, the wee hours; then he would retire to his van for a few hours kip until the dawn. That seems to be a sensible approach.
As for booze and drugs on the bank: well, I don't do drugs and, while I do enjoy a glass of wine or a can of beer, I never drink while I am actually fishing. The experience of fishing is intoxicating enough, I think!
Of course, having a place to rest one's head is a good thing. A brolly alone cannot really shut the darkness out, if one is trying to sleep... I suppose it's the idea of a refuge, a home from home. I do find that, as I get older, I tend to be nervous sometimes after dark, on the bank. In May I fished a rural canal, very close to where someone had drowned just days before! That was an interesting session, I can tell you! And this from someone who, in the daylight hours, delights in ghost stories... My brother, too, seems to be more affected with age: particularly when he discovered that a canal bridge close to where he has landed a run of nice mid-doubles is reputed to be haunted by a white lady! I must admit, that particular spot is truly creepy after nightfall, with all the clustering trees and the cries of the owls....

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

farliesbirthday wrote:My brother, too, seems to be more affected with age: particularly when he discovered that a canal bridge close to where he has landed a run of nice mid-doubles is reputed to be haunted by a white lady! I must admit, that particular spot is truly creepy after nightfall, with all the clustering trees and the cries of the owls....

Ever read 'Bosworth Summit Pound' by L.T.C.Rolt?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

farliesbirthday wrote:I so agree with most things written here; we go fishing to fish and, if you are sleeping in a tent/bivvy, no bait should be in the water, in my view. I recall a tale that Hilton at Redmire would fish into, perhaps, the wee hours; then he would retire to his van for a few hours kip until the dawn. That seems to be a sensible approach.
As for booze and drugs on the bank: well, I don't do drugs and, while I do enjoy a glass of wine or a can of beer, I never drink while I am actually fishing. The experience of fishing is intoxicating enough, I think!
Of course, having a place to rest one's head is a good thing. A brolly alone cannot really shut the darkness out, if one is trying to sleep... I suppose it's the idea of a refuge, a home from home. I do find that, as I get older, I tend to be nervous sometimes after dark, on the bank. In May I fished a rural canal, very close to where someone had drowned just days before! That was an interesting session, I can tell you! And this from someone who, in the daylight hours, delights in ghost stories... My brother, too, seems to be more affected with age: particularly when he discovered that a canal bridge close to where he has landed a run of nice mid-doubles is reputed to be haunted by a white lady! I must admit, that particular spot is truly creepy after nightfall, with all the clustering trees and the cries of the owls....
For our forthcoming 2 nighter I'll make sure I come prepared with some good ghost stories FB! :hahaha:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:
farliesbirthday wrote:My brother, too, seems to be more affected with age: particularly when he discovered that a canal bridge close to where he has landed a run of nice mid-doubles is reputed to be haunted by a white lady! I must admit, that particular spot is truly creepy after nightfall, with all the clustering trees and the cries of the owls....

Scanned online http://talesfromthetowpath.tripod.com/b ... pound.html
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
farliesbirthday wrote:I so agree with most things written here; we go fishing to fish and, if you are sleeping in a tent/bivvy, no bait should be in the water, in my view. I recall a tale that Hilton at Redmire would fish into, perhaps, the wee hours; then he would retire to his van for a few hours kip until the dawn. That seems to be a sensible approach.
For our forthcoming 2 nighter I'll make sure I come prepared with some good ghost stories FB! :hahaha:
Bless you, Snape! :o :hahaha:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
gloucesteroldspot wrote:

Scanned online http://talesfromthetowpath.tripod.com/b ... pound.html
Thank you, Snape - but my computer is struggling to focus on this...silicon nerves? :chuckle:

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”