Do you use a bivvy?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
LondonFields

Do you use a bivvy?

Post by LondonFields »

I am getting a bit fed up now carting a ton of camping stuff around the lake every time I decide to move swim - I just thought I'd ask the more traditional folk on here how they cope with night fishing. Brolly? Sleep under the stars? Would be interested to know - cold is certainly a factor!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Do you use a bivvy?

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

You'll find a little information in the thread below....

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... f=66&t=368

Hope that helps..... :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I generally don't stay out all night and when I do I only do it in summer. I like to sleep outside under the stars if the weather is dry. I have an ex-army arctic sleeping bag which is incredibly warm (and cheap!). If the weather is looking less pleasant I would put up a brolly or go home!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

LondonFields

Post by LondonFields »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:You'll find a little information in the thread below....

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... f=66&t=368

Hope that helps..... :thumb:
Cheers - a good few tips there :thumb:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I have a big old brolly, which I rarely use. Most of my sessions are day sessions, and I like to stay low on the bank, so I rarely put the brolly up, because it must be a big green flag for the fish. However, I'm booked in for a two nighter at a fairly tasty water quite near my home - and it's in April... Now, there might be a heatwave then, or it might snow... April is a funny month - so I plan to buy one of those "pop-up" camo tents - you know, the sort you just throw up in the air and they erect themselves...They are quite small, light and relatively easy to carry. I also plan to pack - as well as my sleeping bag, at least two space blankets: I'm not getting any younger... In fact, I'm a little apprehensive about the whole enterprise, because this place is very remote, and I will be quite alone...still, the fish are more than tempting...

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I only use a brolly. I have done some 2 night sessions using just that. However, that was in the summer. Not sure I would fancy it in the winter
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

farliesbirthday wrote:I have a big old brolly, which I rarely use. Most of my sessions are day sessions, and I like to stay low on the bank, so I rarely put the brolly up, because it must be a big green flag for the fish. However, I'm booked in for a two nighter at a fairly tasty water quite near my home - and it's in April... Now, there might be a heatwave then, or it might snow... April is a funny month - so I plan to buy one of those "pop-up" camo tents - you know, the sort you just throw up in the air and they erect themselves...They are quite small, light and relatively easy to carry. I also plan to pack - as well as my sleeping bag, at least two space blankets: I'm not getting any younger... In fact, I'm a little apprehensive about the whole enterprise, because this place is very remote, and I will be quite alone...still, the fish are more than tempting...
Sounds interesting - any chance you might want a companion to keep you company FB? :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
farliesbirthday wrote:I have a big old brolly, which I rarely use. Most of my sessions are day sessions, and I like to stay low on the bank, so I rarely put the brolly up, because it must be a big green flag for the fish. However, I'm booked in for a two nighter at a fairly tasty water quite near my home - and it's in April... Now, there might be a heatwave then, or it might snow... April is a funny month - so I plan to buy one of those "pop-up" camo tents - you know, the sort you just throw up in the air and they erect themselves...They are quite small, light and relatively easy to carry. I also plan to pack - as well as my sleeping bag, at least two space blankets: I'm not getting any younger... In fact, I'm a little apprehensive about the whole enterprise, because this place is very remote, and I will be quite alone...still, the fish are more than tempting...
Sounds interesting - any chance you might want a companion to keep you company FB? :hat:
You have mail! G.

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Hi there, it did get a real chore carting gear around, I never did that as a kid, so I decided to return back to basics.
What I found was a old polish tent, the beauty of it, is that you can wear it as a poncho or by using the 5 foot collapsible pole it becomes a bell tent.. And very traditional one too. These only cost £17 so you can't go wrong.
Regards,
Lawrence
Last edited by Cooksey on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Cooksey wrote:Hi there, it did get a real chore carting gear around, I never did that as a kid, so I decided to return back to basics.
What I found was a old polish tent, the beauty of it, is that you can wear it as a poncho or by using the 5 foot collapsible poorly becomes a bell tent.. And very traditional too. These only cost £17 so you can't go wrong.
Regards,
Lawrence
Sounds good Cooksey. Where do you get them from?

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”