Do you use a bivvy?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Do you use a bivvy?

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:
Cooksey wrote:Hi there, it did get a real chore carting gear around, I never did that as a kid, so I decided to return back to basics.
What I found was a old polish tent, the beauty of it, is that you can wear it as a poncho or by using the 5 foot collapsible poorly becomes a bell tent.. And very traditional too. These only cost £17 so you can't go wrong.
Regards,
Lawrence
Sounds good Cooksey. Where do you get them from?
A picture would be nice Lawrence.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I still haven't done an overnight session, but if/when I do I think I will go down the same route as professor Snape. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I was given an old bivvi to use at Redmire. Well, it was winter on my first trip and we had terrible weather. It was nice to be able to keep some of my kit inside with me in the dry. I have only used it 3 times. I do, I admit, have a very modern Korum day shelter which is really like a brolly with storm sides. Good for occasional overnighters in summer.

To be honest I don't tend to night fish so when I stay overnight at a venue I reel the rods in and get some kip. It is just handy being able to stay with my kit until first light and experience the glory of dawn by the water. I have used a small pup tent but there are a lot of venues that don't allow tents for some reason. I can understand not wanting a bright orange canvas monstrosity on the bankside, but a small green tent is no different in my view to a bivvi.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

J.T wrote:I still haven't done an overnight session, but if/when I do I think I will go down the same route as professor Snape. :hat:
I haven’t either JT and don't really think I want to.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Found it on e bay under army surplus, called a polish bell tent, I am not too good on computers to enable me to do whatever needs doing, however the pictures are good on the site. Any difficulties just drop me a line and I will try to upload it.
Regards
Lawrence

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Hi again, just checked site: search polish canvas tent and there they are, cost £19 , no zips on these all buttons just like mine, they are all waterproof. The polish soldiers must be thin because you would not get two people in mine !!!
Regards
Lawrence

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sleeping in a bivvy or other shelter in its self is not a problem what can be the problem is the attitude of some 'bivvy boy' anglers. I object to those who sit around and talk loudly whilst drinking large amount of beer (or even watch TV) whilst waiting for their alarms to sound. This is in no way 'fishing'.
Again it is more a matter of attitude and approach than pure equipment.
I saw a quote somewhere else supposedly attributed to BB "Owning a cane rod does not make you a "man of cane" any more than shooting Geese makes you a "good naturalist"
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Snape wrote:Sleeping in a bivvy or other shelter in its self is not a problem what can be the problem is the attitude of some 'bivvy boy' anglers. I object to those who sit around and talk loudly whilst drinking large amount of beer (or even watch TV) whilst waiting for their alarms to sound. This is in no way 'fishing'.
I saw a quote somewhere else supposedly attributed to BB "Owning a cane rod does not make you a "man of cane" any more than shooting Geese makes you a "good naturalist"
Indeed - overnight accommodation has excercised the minds of carp anglers ever since Walker, BB and the rest started doing long trips. Tents, umbrellas, car-covers, polythene or canvas wraparounds, brollycamps, oval brollies, bivvies, dome tents, clamshell shelters - they just keep evolving. If you don't fish all nighters then you don't need anything beyond a regular brolly (if that) but anyone who does more than the occasional carefully-chosen midsummer night session will soon find some sort of shelter invaluable.

I generally use as little as I can, for two reasons; less to carry to the pitch, and the more exposed I am the more aware I am of things going on around me and in the water. You can't watch the water or hear a fish jump if you're sitting inside a zipped-up bivvy. If I can, I use no shelter at all. If there's chance of a shower, or even heavy dew, a 45" cotton brolly on its own is fine, but if the forecast is for heavy or continued rain I have a Trakker A-Lite clamshell shelter which goes up easily and quickly, and once pegged down will withstand gale force winds as well as monsoon rains. In winter sometimes for fun I throw an old canvas brollycamp over the umbrella. It's not ideal as the pole gets in the way and the headroom is severly restricted, but it is warm, and the thick canvas blocks most light out, so if I want to read by torchlight (16 hour nights in midwinter - even I struggle to sleep that long!) I can do so without creating an annoying luminous presence to other anglers.

If I'm fishing a gravel pit or one of those waters where the club/owner has made all the swims hardstanding with that dreadful compacted hoggin that resists even a Gardner powerspike, or if fishing from a platform, the A-Lite is perfect as it can be erected without anything having to be stuck (or hammered) into the ground.

BobH

Post by BobH »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:
Snape wrote:Sleeping in a bivvy or other shelter in its self is not a problem what can be the problem is the attitude of some 'bivvy boy' anglers. I object to those who sit around and talk loudly whilst drinking large amount of beer (or even watch TV) whilst waiting for their alarms to sound. This is in no way 'fishing'.
Indeed - overnight accommodation has excercised the minds of carp anglers ever since Walker, BB and the rest started doing long trips. Tents, umbrellas, car-covers, polythene or canvas wraparounds, brollycamps, oval brollies, bivvies, dome tents, clamshell shelters - they just keep evolving. If you don't fish all nighters then you don't need anything beyond a regular brolly (if that) but anyone who does more than the occasional carefully-chosen midsummer night session will soon find some sort of shelter invaluable.

I generally use as little as I can, for two reasons; less to carry to the pitch, and the more exposed I am the more aware I am of things going on around me and in the water. You can't watch the water or hear a fish jump if you're sitting inside a zipped-up bivvy. If I can, I use no shelter at all. If there's chance of a shower, or even heavy dew, a 45" cotton brolly on its own is fine, but if the forecast is for heavy or continued rain I have a Trakker A-Lite clamshell shelter which goes up easily and quickly, and once pegged down will withstand gale force winds as well as monsoon rains. In winter sometimes for fun I throw an old canvas brollycamp over the umbrella. It's not ideal as the pole gets in the way and the headroom is severly restricted, but it is warm, and the thick canvas blocks most light out, so if I want to read by torchlight (16 hour nights in midwinter - even I struggle to sleep that long!) I can do so without creating an annoying luminous presence to other anglers.

If I'm fishing a gravel pit or one of those waters where the club/owner has made all the swims hardstanding with that dreadful compacted hoggin that resists even a Gardner powerspike, or if fishing from a platform, the A-Lite is perfect as it can be erected without anything having to be stuck (or hammered) into the ground.
Well Said GOS,

Some on here have a " Hollier than Thou " attitude to anything that is not seen as Their Type of Traditional ?

I would hope none of us condone Noise, Drugs and Drinking on the Bank, be it in a bivvy or during the day session !!

But having witness the Horray Hendrys of this world recently at a so called Private Day out on the Itchen, god help those who Throw stones in Greenhouses !!

Bob

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

BobH wrote:
gloucesteroldspot wrote:

Well Said GOS,

Some on here have a " Hollier than Thou " attitude to anything that is not seen as Their Type of Traditional ?

I would hope none of us condone Noise, Drugs and Drinking on the Bank, be it in a bivvy or during the day session !!

But having witness the Horray Hendrys of this world recently at a so called Private Day out on the Itchen, god help those who Throw stones in Greenhouses !!

Bob
I certainly don't condone noise under any circumstances. As for the others, well I think it depends on the amount and the effect it has on the individual. I don't do drugs (unless you believe Old Holborn falls into that category!) but I often have a beer or two, or couple of glasses of wine, if I'm on the bank overnight with a friend or two. I'd never have so much I couldn't respond properly to a run however.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”