The future of my little website.

This forum is for links to other sites of interest.
AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

The future of my little website.

Post by AshbyCut » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:28 pm

For the past 4 weeks I have been receiving emails from the service provider who hosts my little website warning me of 1st. May, 2016 ... what it refers to as "Google's MOBILEGEDDON."

Apparently from this date the latest Google update will mean that my site won't work properly on 'tablet' type connections such as phones ... with problems like 'the text will be too small to read' ... my content 'will be wider than mobile screens' ... and a few other things.

They have, of course, been offering to redesign my site for me to counter these problems ... and the cost has been reducing from an initial £1000 to a current £399 !!!

Sadly I have decided that, for that money, I could either buy something special in the way of tackle or put it towards something special ... so I have decided NOT to go down that route.

I'm not sure how this will affect access to my site ... and if it will remain useable on a standard desktop/laptop ... but time will tell.

If it all goes 'pear shaped' and it can't be accessed after the 1st of May ... I'd like to take this opportunity to thanks all those who have dropped by over the past few years. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

SofaSurfer
Eel

Re: The future of my little website.

Post by SofaSurfer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 pm

This can be resolved by migrating to WordPress, you can keep your domain name, their sites are all PC / Tablet / mobile friendly without any effort on your part. Mine cost £85 including domain name registration and hosting. Have a look :-)

Dave Burr
Salmon

Post by Dave Burr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Sounds like they may also need you to send them a few thousand pounds so that they can recover the millions stuck in the bank whilst checking your own bank details which you must send them immediately...... It's a scam Mal. Ignore it or tell them I send my best wishes and will happily do it in person just as I did the kind 'BT Internet representative' that rang me from the other side of the world just the other day.

PeteD
Bleak

Post by PeteD » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:55 pm

My understanding is that if your site is not created as mobile fiendly in other words it doesn't;

Avoid software that is not common on mobile devices, like Flash
Use text that is readable without zooming
Size content to the screen so users don’t have to scroll horizontally or zoom
Place links far enough apart so that the correct one can be easily tapped

then all that will happen is your site will not be rated so high up on a Google search.

It should all still work as it does today it just might be lower down on the search list thats all.

Dendrobaena
Dace

Post by Dendrobaena » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Dave Burr wrote:Sounds like they may also need you to send them a few thousand pounds so that they can recover the millions stuck in the bank whilst checking your own bank details which you must send them immediately...... It's a scam Mal. Ignore it or tell them I send my best wishes and will happily do it in person just as I did the kind 'BT Internet representative' that rang me from the other side of the world just the other day.
Yep i'm with Dave on this one, i'm shore this is a scam Mal :Hair out:
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

Post by AshbyCut » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks for the comments, Gentlemen. I suppose the 'proof of the pudding' will be seen on Monday morning ... buy perchance it's a prod in the ribs to look at the transition from where I was to where I am !!!

The TFF and all it's members have been instrumental in bringing me to where I am today in 'traditional angling' ... which is still a 'complete novice' despite what my posting rating might suggest ... that just supports the theory that I talk too much ... but only when I feel comfortable, as I have and do here.

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose." I'll be here, whatever happens.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

NiceRoach
Arctic Char

Post by NiceRoach » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Switch all the contents to a free site such as Wordpress :Hat:
niceroach

Penninelad
Grayling

Post by Penninelad » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Stick at it Mal as I have really enjoyed looking at your site.Aol have been sending me emails saying my folders are full and they are going to cut me off fo years but they have not done it yet even though I have changer my service provider on a number of occasions
Mark Davies

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:51 am

AC, your site will not be affected by 'mobilegeddon' other than possibly in the google search rankings. The original 'mobilegeddon' was a change to the google search algorithm about a year ago which resulted in 'mobile-friendly' sites being favoured above 'non-mobile-friendly' sites in the google search results. While this was a serious problem for commercial websites, its not really an issue for non-commercial sites.

All this really means is that sites with fixed font sizes and a fixed page width will be lower in the search results for a given search term than similar sites that adapt themselves to a smaller mobile display.

Your site will still be available and work just as it does now. If you have been receiving 'scare tactics' emails from your website provider to try to part you from your cash, it might be time to look for another that does business more honestly.

If you want to see what a website looks like on various devices, there is a useful tool at http://mobiletest.me/.

With more people using mobile devices to access the web, it is a good idea to use website templates that can adapt to the size of display. Often this requires little more than changing the page content width to a percentage of the page width rather than a pixel value, and using flexible font styles instead of fixed size fonts. Sorry if this paragraph sounds like gobbledygook, until recently I worked in the software and internet industry for 25 years :Scared:

AC, if you're at all concerned about this, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Paul

Wallys-Cast
Rainbow Trout

Post by Wallys-Cast » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:41 am

I hope all goes well for you Mal, I love having a look around your website and would miss it, should it vanish.

I know absolutely nothing about running websites etc but I do know how frustrating it can be when things go wrong through no fault of your own.

Wal.

Return to “Links to Other Sites of Interest”