Maurice Wiggin - Passionate Angler

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Maurice Wiggin - Passionate Angler

Post by Rutland Rod »

Despite having a copy for a few years have only just read it, a classic of its type and MW a true all rounder and very modest about his abilities. What intrigues me is how after loving fishing so much he suddenly stops fishing ! I'm sure this has been covered before but any answers Chaps ?

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Maurice Wiggin - Passionate Angler

Post by Catfish.017 »

See my post 04/04/2012. There are clues also in the actual book for instance his distaste for playing fish to a standstill. In another of his books ' A Cottage Idyll' he reveals that his fishing had dwindled to a Boxing Day trip once a year.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Catfish I think your right, I've got friends who fish very rarely but only one who stopped completely ( apart from those where infirmity stoped them ) and he was someone who didn't start until he was in his 50's fished quite intensely and then just stopped about 5 years later.
Tight lines Dave

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

This is a very interesting fact about Maurice that I wasn't aware of. My own conscience has been pricked on many occasions in the past.
Russ

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

thought provoking

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Way back in the mid 60's he joined Ruislip Angling Society to fish Savay. Lasted just a year and dropped his ticket

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Was given a book by MW (can't remember the title) by my parents when I got into fishing aged about 14. Can remember being rather disappointed at their choice of book - as I'd never heard of MW, and was at the time becoming more impressed by the specimen hunting, check everything carefully, give yourself the best chance attitude in works by Dick Walker and others.

Some of MW's attitudes jarred on me - especially where I recall he said "I would rather lose half of all the fish I hook than have the fearful bother of carrying a landing net". Or something very like that - I disposed of the book many years ago, so can't check.

Apologies if this is in any sense a false memory - don't think it is, but can't be sure!

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Peter Wilde wrote:Was given a book by MW (can't remember the title) by my parents when I got into fishing aged about 14. Can remember being rather disappointed at their choice of book - as I'd never heard of MW, and was at the time becoming more impressed by the specimen hunting, check everything carefully, give yourself the best chance attitude in works by Dick Walker and others.

Some of MW's attitudes jarred on me - especially where I recall he said "I would rather lose half of all the fish I hook than have the fearful bother of carrying a landing net". Or something very like that - I disposed of the book many years ago, so can't check.

Apologies if this is in any sense a false memory - don't think it is, but can't be sure!
He might have been referring to salmon fishing only, where such views are not at all uncommon.

A huge net permanently festooned over the shoulder, snagging the line and every bramble is a pain. Most upland rivers have a shingle beach to beach the fish, so no great problem. The English chalk streams would be a different matter.

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Very fair point; though my (possibly unreliable) recollection is that the Maurice quote and most of the book was about coarse fishing.

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

If you do an online search you'll see that he wrote or co-wrote a couple of fly fishing books, including the "classic" Torridge Fishery.

While salmon fishing and trout without a net is entirely feasible, coarse fishing I'd say is largely not feasible other than for small fish.

As a matter of interest I often fly fish for trout without using a net (I might carry one). Just leave the trout in the water and use the rod tip like a disgorger, works brilliantly well. Obviously you can't do this with floats and stuff.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”