What was your first fishing book?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Robert P
Bleak

Re: What was your first fishing book?

Post by Robert P »

Basic Coarse Fishing, the Angler's Mail guide to.

1981 probably with a few others for Christmas - the first I can remember anyway. Whist browsing for vintage books recently on an auction site I immediately recognised it so purchased a copy. Despite being a 1981 publication, many of the photos of anglers 'in action' are of course from the decades previous.

I particularly loved the picture of the tackle shop, my 9 year old self could only marvel at the shiny rods in the racks wondering what they were. I now realise this was probably Farlows, due to the stock of Hardy rods, looks like some Shakespeare there too.
IMG_4276.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Satt2006
Ruffe

Post by Satt2006 »

my first fishing book, read it when I was ten years old, way back in the early 70ies

(it's in German, very nice introduction about the history of angling)

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I'm not too sure but think it was The Magpie Fish & Fishing book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanglemaster
Stickleback

Post by Tanglemaster »

'Mr Crabtree goes fishing' in 1961, when age 10, followed the year after by ' The Fishermans Bedside Book' by "BB".
Used to read, or have a chapter read to me by my Mother, before drifting off into a contended sleep dreaming of Tench filled lakes or river slack barbel....magical.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Badger wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 am Image
Thankfully "Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing" was also my first fishing book on my ninth birthday in 1967. Gave a copy of the new version as a Christmas present last year to the young lad next door, who had started to show an interest in football! Ye Gods.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”