What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Santiago »

The Secret Sharer, by Joseph Conrad. Oh, I do like a bit of Conrad now and again.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Kevin Parr - Rivers Run - Superb read, entertaining, knowledgeable and yes fishing is mentioned here and there - if you have not read this book I urge you to do so - Kevin is an exceptional writer.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Re-reading "Coarse Fishing" by J. H. R. Bazley and N. L. Weatherall. (5th. edition 1947. Pub. H. F. & G. Witherby Ltd.)

This is a revised edition of the original 1932 "The Art of Coarse Fishing. A practical treatise on the sport and choice of tackle and water" by J H R Bazley the year before he died.

It has a great recipe for 'cloud bait for roach' which I intend to try next season ... "Crushed bread 12oz : ground rice 4oz ; castor sugar 4oz : and malt 2oz (must be fresh and not smell musty). If tinned milk be drained into a large jug, thinned by the addition of boiling water, allowed to stand until cool and then sprinkled on and mixed with the dry feed, a cloud will be the result than which no angler on earth can desire better."

There's also a delightful telling of how Mr Cutting caught his then record 3lb. 10oz. roach from Hornsea Mere in 1917.

"Fishing with Mrs. Cutting, not a great distance from the jetties, and the good lady - who is also a capable angler - was catching perch after perch which "Wilfred" became tired of unhooking and returning. In order to get out of their way, he put on a long line, and almost immediately the float dipped. 'It seems I can't get out of their way !' he exclaimed as he struck. The captive turned out to be the then record roach, the only one which Mr. Cutting caught that afternoon."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Mark99 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:33 am
Marc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 pm Fishing for beginners, by Maurice Wiggin. I got into MW last year and have greedily set about his books. At 25 years a fisherman, I’m not sure I can be called a beginner, though often find myself feeling that way. I like MW no nonsense ‘a spades a spade’ approach to writing. He’s never afraid to say he doesn’t like something and he’s rarely diplomatic about it. He also shares my views on fishing with worms.

MW is a first class writer.

Currently reading his memoirs. And his court case book.
Yes a complex and interesting character. I've posted before about his eventual 'giving up' of the sport. It was evident in his later writing, particularly " A Cottage Idyll" that he was down to just one or two outings a year, Boxing Day being a favourite. Yet the seeds of discontent could be found in his early writing too. In "The Passionate Angler" is a chapter where he describes his tactics for getting the hooked fish out as quickly and cleanly as possible, decrying the overplaying of fish for self gratification. Yet in the same book is one of the most elegant and erudite explorations of why we actually go fishing!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Catfish.017 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 am
Marc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 pm Fishing for beginners, by Maurice Wiggin. I got into MW last year and have greedily set about his books. At 25 years a fisherman, I’m not sure I can be called a beginner, though often find myself feeling that way. I like MW no nonsense ‘a spades a spade’ approach to writing. He’s never afraid to say he doesn’t like something and he’s rarely diplomatic about it. He also shares my views on fishing with worms.

Yes a complex and interesting character. I've posted before about his eventual 'giving up' of the sport. It was evident in his later writing, particularly " A Cottage Idyll" that he was down to just one or two outings a year, Boxing Day being a favourite. Yet the seeds of discontent could be found in his early writing too. In "The Passionate Angler" is a chapter where he describes his tactics for getting the hooked fish out as quickly and cleanly as possible, decrying the overplaying of fish for self gratification. Yet in the same book is one of the most elegant and erudite explorations of why we actually go fishing!
I have always enjoyed reading M.W. for me he was so far ahead of anyone with regards the ethics involved in angling, as you say one can plot the course he took through his writing but it was always a tangible thought he may one day give it all up.

I as i’ve aged also battle with the very same conundrums - I hope the battle comes out in favour of carrying on, after all there is a lot more to fishing than catching fish.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Pallenpool wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am
Catfish.017 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 am

I have always enjoyed reading M.W. for me he was so far ahead of anyone with regards the ethics involved in angling, as you say one can plot the course he took through his writing but it was always a tangible thought he may one day give it all up.

I as i’ve aged also battle with the very same conundrums - I hope the battle comes out in favour of carrying on, after all there is a lot more to fishing than catching fish.

:Hat:
Wasn't there a Chinese chap who would sit with rod and line but no hook?

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

The Waterlog Years by Chris Yates

"Waterlog, the magazine for the absolute angler, began in 1996, and Chris Yates, as founding co-editor and contributer, published regular articles within its pages. This book brings together all his regular Waterlog articles from issues One to Fifty, along with a few other ramblings, and reflects his various enthusiasms, joys, memories and dreams over an eight-year period. Waterlog gave Chris the freedom to focus on, or play with, any watery subject he liked - from Nordic lakes, Redmire memories, Avon barbel and Irish travels to alternative realities and mathematical probabilities. Not to mention Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp in his tench swim..."

A series of short stories taken from the "Waterlog" magazine. Handy for dipping into when the mood takes you!
Last edited by Coral Maestro on Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bob Brookes wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:14 pm The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Chester Ruark. I shall mention no name but it was gifted to me by a Golden Scale member who reckons it is the best book he has read. I am now 1/3 through it and I agree it is excellent, but different.
He sent me a copy too, Bob. I have a few books to get through first then I will start it. :Hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Snape wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:18 pm
Bob Brookes wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:14 pm The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Chester Ruark. I shall mention no name but it was gifted to me by a Golden Scale member who reckons it is the best book he has read. I am now 1/3 through it and I agree it is excellent, but different.
He sent me a copy too, Bob. I have a few books to get through first then I will start it. :Hat:
:Hat: The last 2/3 went much too quickly, I really enjoyed it.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bob Brookes wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm
Snape wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:18 pm
:Hat: The last 2/3 went much too quickly, I really enjoyed it.
I'll shunt it up the list then. :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”