What was your first fishing book?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Fred Bonney
Perch

Re: What was your first fishing book?

Post by Fred Bonney »

CrayCane wrote:
Fred Bonney wrote:My first was The Angler's Handbook 1/-NET published by SPRATT'S

"Especially written forSPRATT'S by a well-known angling expert"

The one I have now is from 1958, my original fell apart with use.
I thought my edition said who the "expert" was, this one doesn't and the mists of time have blurred my memory!

Many thanks for that. I've been racking my brain to remember this one which was also my first angling book.

Pete

just found a copy on Abe-books. Should bring back a few memories :Hahaha:
Glad I was able to jog your memory Pete :Ok: I picked my copy off Abe, it still has good advice for today's beginner.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Angling in earnest - Fred Taylor, a birthday present in 1958 followed by Walker's Pitch 1959........
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Muskieman
Bleak

Post by Muskieman »

My first book was "Pike" by Jim Gibbinson. It was part of the Osprey Anglers series. The original copy was loaned out and, as is often the case, never returned. I have replaced it. I still have a look at it from time to time. I never really bought any books, the local library had an extensive angling section. It was much later when I cauight the collecting bug.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

The Fisherman's Bedside book 1946 edition ; given to me by my fishing mentor when I was ten. It's all been downhill from there.

In my early days I was also given 'Trout Fishing For Boys ' which is now beyond parody. It didn't seem to help me much in fishing ponds located in slag heaps in the West Riding coalfields of the 60s...

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

I started fishing during secondary school years and therefore the library was a big influence (dad didn't fish, rarely read in fact!). In the library was a copy of Bob Zwirz and Morty Marshall's Young Sportsman's Guide to Fly Fishing, published by Nelson in New York (1967?). I dominated that book, taking it out again and again, and when I wasn't allowed to take it out again, hiding it in the religious studies section so others wouldn't find it! When the book was finally sold off from library stock I was first in the queue. I still have it today.
I read a load of books on coarse fishing afterwards and of course Crabtree and the Observer's book of Freshwater Fish.

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

This book was my angling bible. I read it again and again and again. I knew every picture by heart and each one fired my imagination. As I developed my skills the section on each individual species was my starting point, as I had no angling relatives or mentors. I still have it (1980 it was published) and it is still hugely evocative to me:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

'Angling Ways' by Marshall E Hardy, I still have it. I remember taking the dust jacket off as it annoyed me and throwing it away. Ooops :-(

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Prince of Durham wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:Like Snape not my original book but I had to get a copy, great illustrations

My copy of this arrived the other day. Just had to have it.
This was my first book too, long ago disappeared to one of my younger brothers, and then to who knows where...

Having spent an age searching boot sales and charity shops (and quite forgetting about ebay and amazon) I then received two copies as gifts on the same birthday! Great illustrations and sound advice on how to fish responsibly.

No mention of pike though?

At the time I couldn't afford a fixed spool reel and certainly didn't know what the one illustrated was, I now know it's an Intrepid Fisher 7

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

My first fishing book was Mr Crabtree and being asked by Fred Taylor to help him revise it probably gave me more pleasure than any of the other writing I have done in my life. I used to religiously read Mr Crabtree almost every evening before going fishing, but other than stimulating my interest and enthusiasm I really can't say that it helped me greatly in catching fish. It was many years before I was able to go out and feel confident that my outings would be successful.
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

First ones I read( I started fishing in Secondary School in 1977) were Still water angling by DW and an FJT book from the library. I admit to taking out the DW book regularly then failing to return it (tut tut) it was at my parents for years but went missing in the late 80's.

Blunderer, the picture on the cover of that young anglers hand book could be me and my mates in about 1978, in fact it looks like Connaught Waters where most of our fishing was down then. Anything inside the dust jacket about the location?

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”