Derek Stritton - Too Many Rods

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Derek S

Re: Derek Stritton - Too Many Rods

Post by Derek S »

Sorry for not commenting earlier, but I only just saw the thread! Always been a bit on the slow side! Thanks for the kind words Guys, I appreciate your comments. When I look back at the book now I wish I had included a whole lot more, both stories and opinions, but there you go we can all be wiser after the event. Hi Ian, I did start another book, I was going to call it: "All the usual suspects" and include some of the hilarious stories from the time I spent working part time in Robertson's fishing shop. Wrote the first couple of chapters and went fishing! Nothing new there then! I was completely gob smacked by Kevin's comments about me being "one of his hero's" just goes to prove how few carp anglers were about back then! Not to say I was very proud when it was pointed out to me. As far as Ian's comment about the rod pod at Eagle pond's, well don't I just wish!

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Nice to see you posting on this site Derek.

Take care

Mike

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Thankyou for posting on this thread Derek. I have to confess I still haven't bought your book as my meagre finances are a little stretched at present. I hope to get a copy in the next few months though, and very much look forward to reading.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Muskieman
Bleak

Post by Muskieman »

I believe that the Lands End had copies behind the bar.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Well that's another book for my wish list, being from the county of White Stilleto's and having fished the Eagle years ago.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I went to the Brentwood Carp Show at the weekend and met Derek on the Carp Society stand, it was he I bought the Mordex Merlin from... a very nice man. I'd heard of him through the 70's and 80's on the local carp circuit, his exploits were standard stuff whist learning your carping craft...

it was great to meet him... :Hat: :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Dammit! still not bought this one. Should've put it on my Xmas list..
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

its quite a good book i think you can get a standard copy for about the original price it sold for

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Derek was kind enough to get the illustrator Pete Curtis of his new book , East End Days to do a quick sketch about fishing from the pavement of the Eagle Pond Snaresbrook.

I asked my mate and fellow forumer Tony if the drawing was of one of us or Derek. Tony brought me down to earth by pointing out that the figure was playing a carp- something we very rarely did in the 70s!
20210108_132301.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I too was fishing the Eagle and the Hollows in the 70's with Max Cottis and a couple of others... (mainly for the Tench) I stopped fishing there when the manager of the Rising Sun was shot dead... We beat a hasty retreat and never went back, preferring to fish closer to home at Fairlop and Hainault lakes... had a lot of fun there...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”