Derek Stritton - Too Many Rods

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Derek Stritton - Too Many Rods

Post by GregF »

I was just wondering if anybody has read Derek Stritton’s book ‘Too Many Rods’? and what their thoughts were about it.
I am thinking about buying this book.
Mr. Stritton is a bit of a legend in Essex carp fishing, having been around some of the top waters in the sixties and seventies and onwards, fishing places like South Weald back in it’s heyday. He was part of a pioneering group of anglers back then and fished with Fred Wilton around the time that the first High Protein/HNV baits and boilies were being developed as well as the early days of the hair rig. He’s also known for being quite outspoken in his views. I think this might be a really interesting book about old school carping particularly as the author is from my area. I’ve enjoyed the various articles I’ve read of his over the years, finding myself nodding in agreement with many of the things he says, especially about some of the ways in which carp fishing has 'evolved'. I just wondered, before I splash out on it, if any others here had read the book and what they thought?
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Derek Stritton - Too Many Rods

Post by Tengisgol »

I knew Derek when I was a boy, he lived on my road, and also many of the waters that he fished and talks about in this book. He is also a recent TFF'er so you may find he will join this conversation!

I thoroughly enjoyed it (the book) but then I am a little biased perhaps. I suspect you won't be disappointed.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Thanks Tengisgol. :Hat:
I've just had a browse around and found that it was quite a limited edition/print run with not many copies printed. Might be a little harder to get hold of than I thought.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

hve look on ebay you should be able to get a copy for about the same as cover price

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Not read it myself so can't help much on that front but Gifts4Anglers have copies available at the cover price.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

a good read and it brought back some happy memories. A must have book for anyone of that era fishing in Essex and Kent.

My favourite photo is at Eagle Pond with a very early "rod pod"- with a bit of foresight and a patent application I could have pinched his idea and would have been sending this posting from the Caymans!

How is book number 2 progressing Derek?

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Thanks for the info chaps. I think I'll get this book. :Thumb:

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Its a very nice read from a good guy,I bought the book because I fished many of the waters in the book in the 70s and 80s

Isolation

Post by Isolation »

Yes it is a good read and he comes across as being a decent bloke

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Recent magazine interview with Kevin Nash had his three "original" heroes as Jack Hilton, Rod and Derek

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”