The New Complete Angler

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Beresford
Sea Trout

The New Complete Angler

Post by Beresford »

I have a first edition of this book, bought when it was published back in the late 1980's. It's a good read with all sorts of fishy history. However, for me the book is made rather special by the superb paintings of Martin Knowelden. Although the eagle eyed will spot the odd error made by the non-angling artist they are very evocative. I saw this on ebay which is what reminded of the book. One of my favourites and very suitable for inclusion in the traditionalists library.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Complete- ... 500wt_1320
The Split Cane Splinter Group

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Re: The New Complete Angler

Post by DontKnowMuch »

An excellent book which I forgot I had until it was mentioned in Perch Contemporary Days and Ways. The artwork is good but the book really is a mine of good scientific information as well. The detail in the perch chapter about fishes' eyesight is worth getting the book for.

An interesting foreword by Walker. He pulls no punches with his opinion of Isaak Walton and the original book.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I have this also, some lovely illustrations. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Art work in this book when I first saw it ( about 1984/5) expressed in a way how I felt about angling..the picture of a Rudd and quill float is one of my all time favourite peices of Angling art.Probably because it was the first of many of that type Ive seen since, but that one was the first( for me)

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”