Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Blueavocet

Re: Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Post by Blueavocet »

I haven't read Silt Road but it prompts me to reflect that writing something different about angling is a challenge isn't it! The conventional angling books rework the bag it up theme, or else the massive ego in a small room for those who relentlessly pursue a big carp. The less conventional and much more entertaining material sorts the nuances of an angling life and philosophy. But finding something new is very difficult. My effort is 'Secret River' which explores what's involved in learning to fish (a wayward but skilful young angler teaches a newly retired guy the gentle art and adventures follow on from that). Its placed with Little Egret press but always a more difficult book to prioritise for a small publisher when the formula of memoirs seems a safer bet. So Silt Road might be badly written (and therefore not a poor purchase), but I'd still encourage all to search for new things to say or explore regarding angling. We have such a rich tradition and it needs to continue!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Blueavocet,

I agree. I was looking for something different. It was a great idea for a book. The title should have been 'The History of High Wycombe' and the subtitle should have been 'Depressing ramblings in suburbia'. I hope somebody takes the original idea and does it justice.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Hi Sofasurfer,
A second-hand hardback is on it's way. When I've read it, I'll let you know.
cheers,
Greg.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chap's I have to disagree, I'm halfway through Silt Road and although so far angling has not featured I'm finding it a good read, yes so far I've found out more about West Wycombe / furniture making the A.40 etc than I have any interest in but the theme of the book is how a river with man's help can be ruined, and we all have our versions of CRW's Wye close by to us. I still have the second half of the book to read when I log off here so perhaps I might share your views by the end of it.
Tight lines
Dave

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Dave,

Yes please, I look forward to reading your views :-)

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

I wrote the review for Silt Road for Trout and Salmon magazine and stand by what I said. It is an excellent book, well written and thought provoking with a wealth of extraordinary historical detail . It isn't written for people who want a 'how to ' book or a book full of pictures of fat carp. It is a cri de coeur targetted at anybody who cares about the fate of some of our rivers and it is to be applauded for that fact alone .

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Have now finished reading Silt Road and enjoyed it for what it is, certainly not a fishing book, possibly because its by CRW some people thought it would contain some fishing. Chris Yate's 'Out of the Blue' to be read in a minute along with a few glasses of an Italian Red.

Tight lines
Dave

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I enjoyed "Out of the blue" RR, I'm sure you will too. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Well, my copy of Silt Road is here but I've been a bit too busy to get properly started on it. I read the prologue and the first two chapters though. I know that's not much to go on yet, but it seems really interesting so far.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Well after starting this book I put it down for a long time due to lots of other stuff to do. I’ve now just finished reading it and I have to agree with John, it is an excellent book.

It covers so much it is hard to know where to start: The history of the area through which the river runs, the early furniture industry, watermills, the export of trout to colonise antipodean rivers, the luddite rebellion, Francis Dashwood and the Hellfire Club, slum clearances, the geology of chalk landscapes and more besides. Layer upon layer of fascinating information all woven together with the author’s search for the river itself, buried under the streets and buildings of an English town.

This is an extremely well-executed and well-researched piece of work and a fine tribute to the river, its history and the people who lived and worked along its banks for centuries.

Every river that has been lost under tarmac and concrete (and there must be hundreds) should have a ‘Silt Road’ written about it.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”