Red Letter Days

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Red Letter Days

Post by RBTraditional »

If that were to go ahead, wouldn't it be a lovely idea to use the profits toward a proper recognition of Bernards life and work, whether that be the setting up of an appreciation society, a plaque in Ham Street on the Romney Marsh where he spent his early years....whatever the man really does need some lasting testimonial. When you think of how highly we regard him I'm surprised it has never happened.....I'd love to be involved in some way but sadly don't have the contacts, knowledge of the net to instigate such a tribute.....and it frustrates me.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I think you are so right R.B.T. - I will pass your comments on.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I agree that Bernard should be remembered as he arguably has had the greatest influence on angling of all writers.

With regard to Red Letter Days. I have a copy and enjoyed it in the main but, I did find it at times a little ..... well, boring may be too strong a word. Let me explain. When you read of somebodies adventures or even obsessive quests, there is. if its well written, a sense of jeopardy along the way. The money shot at the end is either success of abject failure with a determination to go again. RLD had none of that. No matter how well its written you just know that ultimately the angler prevails and I found myself scanning ahead of the text and looking for the weight.

Not all red letter days involve the biggest fish or indeed, any fish at all. I think that a few chapters along these lines would perhaps make for a more interesting book.

Or is it just me? :)

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Nature of the beast really Dave. A book about successful days will be about that. I do know where you are coming from though. Perhaps Red Letter Days (with a few disasters) would be something that would perhaps keep this type of book more interesting. I could certainly submit a few chapters when it all went wrong such as what would probably have been Laroussi's first 70lb plus carp falling off at the net whilst I was being filmed.

Previous capture 69.12 then well over 70 on its next capture.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

RBTraditional wrote:If that were to go ahead, wouldn't it be a lovely idea to use the profits toward a proper recognition of Bernards life and work, whether that be the setting up of an appreciation society, a plaque in Ham Street on the Romney Marsh where he spent his early years....whatever the man really does need some lasting testimonial. When you think of how highly we regard him I'm surprised it has never happened.....I'd love to be involved in some way but sadly don't have the contacts, knowledge of the net to instigate such a tribute.....and it frustrates me.
Well, I have started the ball in motion - hopefully...

Shaun Harrison
Regional Organiser
RO's co-ordinator
Steering Committee Member

7,495 posts
Sent Today, 09:48 AM

Hi Mick,

I promised to forward these 2 messages on from someone else...

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:03 am

I've searched the net for a Bernard Venables appreciation society or the like, there's one for BB....does one exist? It would be lovely to know that some of us could keep his name and works in the public eye in respect for the great man.....I'd certainly join
"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

Secondly after mentioning that someone had contacted me regarding the possibility of another Red Letter Days type book...

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:42 pm

If that were to go ahead, wouldn't it be a lovely idea to use the profits toward a proper recognition of Bernards life and work, whether that be the setting up of an appreciation society, a plaque in Ham Street on the Romney Marsh where he spent his early years....whatever the man really does need some lasting testimonial. When you think of how highly we regard him I'm surprised it has never happened.....I'd love to be involved in some way but sadly don't have the contacts, knowledge of the net to instigate such a tribute.....and it frustrates me.

I must admit, I very much agree Bernard should be remembered in a proper sort of way rather than as Mr Crabtree which has become a separate business these days with the TV and such like.

Best wishes as always
Shaun

"One of the most important aspects of red wine drinking is the company in which you drink it".
Shaun Harrison 2012.

Sent Today, 11:54 AM
Hi Shaun,

Good to hear from you and I trust you're catching a few!

I share the sentiment in the messages and agree with both ideas of a BV appreciation society and a plaque. I particularly like the idea of a plaque. There is one for Peter Stone on the Thames but the difficulty could be obtaining permission from the borough council. But let's try! Happy to donate whatever sale proceeds we can towards acheiving both. My only reservation is, with the decline of the book market and small print-runs against higher publishing costs, will we be able to raise enough after meeting costs. However, let's be optimistic and at least attempt to further his memory. He was certainly an inspiration to me. Please convey this to the person.

Best wishes,

Mick

Shaun Harrison
Regional Organiser
RO's co-ordinator
Steering Committee Member

7,495 posts
Sent Today, 12:00 PM
Thanks Mick,

He raised a very valid point in my mind and one that had not occurred to me that Bernard has no appreciation society etc...
:31:

"One of the most important aspects of red wine drinking is the company in which you drink it".
Shaun Harrison 2012.

Mick
28 posts
Sent Today, 12:04 PM
Likewise Shaun, I am keen to investigate it further. The man himself should be remembered, not just for Crabtree. Heard you had a good session with Ron at Korda, how big were the tench?
Edit

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I think you are so right R.B.T. - I will pass your comments on.
There should be 2 separate P.M.'s for you RBT but they aren't showing up on my screen as being in my outbox or sent. Hopefully you receive them?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:I think you are so right R.B.T. - I will pass your comments on.
There should be 2 separate P.M.'s for you RBT but they aren't showing up on my screen as being in my outbox or sent. Hopefully you receive them?
They stay in your out box until they have been read Shaun so all is well. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I looked in the sent and the outbox but not there. Last one in the sent box was to your good self.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Dont look like they were sent then Shaun.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Never had that issue before, I get a fair bit of PM correspondence on here.

Hey ho, off for the weekend now so will be struggling to get back on line. The main information about doing something for Bernard Venables is above. I was just letting RBT know what I had done with a little more information and contact with the other person should he want it.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”