Waterlog Magazine

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Waterlog Magazine

Post by Mark »

Please see the link below for more details.

http://www.waterlogmagazine.com/
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Waterlog Magazine

Post by Snape »

I'd be interested to hear people's views on Waterlog. I subscribed from no 1 until no. 50 when it changed its format. I felt it lost its fun and wit from the early editions and was playing much more to the Canadian market. The loss of Chris as joint editor did it no favours and as for the end of Vernon the roach? A sad day indeed.
I haven't seen a copy since.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Like you Snape I subscribed to at least the first 50 issues and found it going the same way as you state. Then last year I subscribed again just to see if things had changed, but unfortunately not. I will not be renewing my subscription this year which is a shame.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Well I only own one copy, number 24 with Chris holding a barbel on the front cover, and I really like it. It would be a shame to think the mag has gone downhill. But then they say nothing ay good lasts forever.

Thats where we prove them all wrong with this forum!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

If I recall correctly that edition with Chris holding the barbel said "is this Britain's first 20lb barbel?". It was a spoof with a Photoshopped picture. The fish look ridiculously huge but then it wasn't long before the first real 20lb barbel appeared and sure enough it looked ridiculously huge!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I subscribed from the first issue and would read it cover to cover the day it arrived. I felt that it had lost something by issue 25 or thereabouts (the arrival of Dexter Petley marked a particular low-point for me) and when it changed format and frequency I had more or less lost interest in it, often putting it straight in the magazine rack without inspection. There are still plenty of articles in the later issues I have not, nor am ever likely, to read. I think I contined to subscribe for two years after the format change, then dropped it.

However, the first twenty issues in my bookcase are much dog-eared.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

We need more magazines like this, surely? - because a publication like Waterlog is still preferable to the recycled "how to catch 'em" rubbish that passes for angling literature these days.
We were spoilt in the Seventies and the Eighties weren't we...Coarse Angler, Coarse Fisherman etc...Bailey on the Wensum after roach; Yates in search of the giant goldfish,..accounts of the Golden Scale Club..., early John Wilson...Jumpers for Goalposts - ah! Marvellous.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Is Classic Angling any good?
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Is Classic Angling any good?
Ah yes. I had forgotten about that one. I was going to subscribe a few years back and never did then I forgot about it. Maybe I'll look at again. Thanks SK.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I no longer subscribe to Classic Angling, mainly as a cost cutting measure. Personally, I find the publication too transatlantic at times, as it keeps one eye on the American/Canadian market; and at other times it is too focussed on the vintage tackle collector. Auction room accounts are a bore, generally speaking!
John Bailey writes for it, and writes well; but generally speaking the mag is "too much kit and not enough fishing."

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”