Angling magazine 1960's article sought

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Slow in Suffolk

Angling magazine 1960's article sought

Post by Slow in Suffolk »

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any copies of Angling magazine from the 1960's and if so whether they might have the copy with an article on the Welsh Harp (also known as Brent reservoir) in NW London. As a youngster our house used to back onto this water and it was where I learned to fish so if anyone has a copy of this particular magazine I would love a copy of the article and happy to reinburse all costs.
Paul

VernonBenables

Re: Angling magazine 1960's article sought

Post by VernonBenables »

I will have a look,but there are a lot of them.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Paul

I do have the lot but, and its a big but, not certain of their condition. Damp may have taken their toll.
Any idea of date and I'll see if I can find it over the weekend.

Mike

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Welcome to the forum vernonbenables :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Lord, do I wish I'd known about that! I used to live near Staples corner, and would trail forlornly down to the Harp when not-fishing became too much to bear, for yet another blank.
I didn't catch a fish there until the day before I started uni, and then it was my first carp, a one-pounder. How much a bit of "Kosher Gen" might have helped!

Many years later, it was the spot for my only "campaign", ten Autumn term Wednesday afternoons/ evenings in a row, baiting and fishing two swims I'd located with the help of an old map; it yielded roach to two pounds, half an ounce. Only one or two per night, per-haps, except for the last night - four fish including the "two", and a few blanks.
Now you can't fish it, but on whose say-so, I know not. But I wish them exploding Chalfonts!

Slow in Suffolk

Back around 1962 the Harp was hit by a dreadful polution that came down the River Brent and the fish kill was horrendous I used to walk the banks with my dad and over a couple of weeks we counted over 70 2lb plus roach dead and I'm pretty sure the biggest was very close to the 3lb 14oz record of the time. It was one of those waters that threw up surprises with large bream and the odd big tench turning up occasionally but it was the roach fishing that was exceptional.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

That would explain a few things!
I was given my first "proper" (not) rod in '59, I think, and learned to swim in '63 or 64, after which I'd have been allowed to wander down there ... no wonder it was a struggle! :shocked:
All these years I've been assuming I must be the crappiest angler that ever walked the banks...
I'm told a 3:10 roach was caught during the run-down for dam repairs in the early '80s. Only God and the cormorants know what's in there now, a crying waste of amenity in a deprived borough. (Meaning Brent. Barnet isn't aware angling exists, except as a drain on their resources - having to put "no fishing" signs up on all the ponds... :hairout: )
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Slow in Suffolk

I can well believe there are probably still some huge roach in there. I've not been back for over 30 years so from the sounds of it the memories are better than the current reality. I remember one day going to school at The Hyde in the early 60's we crossed over the Silk Stream en-route and on that one occasion it was teeming with roach but never saw much more than the odd fish apart from that one day.

VernonBenables

Post by VernonBenables »

Sorry but cant find the article on the Welsh Harp.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”