The Angler's Instructor by William Bailey

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Ron Clay

The Angler's Instructor by William Bailey

Post by Ron Clay »

William (Nottingham) Bailey was acknowledged as one of the leading coarse anglers of the Victorian period. In 1861 he published his classic work: "The Angler's Instructor". This book can now be read on the internet by googling "The Angler's Instructor".

Bailey was a Nottingham man who must have known Martin and Coxon. Most of his fishing was based on the Trent, and he caught virtually all the common species of fish from the river.

He didn't mince his words when it came to telling the reader what was good and what was bad.

On barbel for example Bailey states:

"Some writers on angling recommend the ledger as the best way of barbel fishing, but in my opinion it is the very worst, there is nothing in it. As I said before it is too slow and will not do for the anglers of the present day. In fact if I see a man "plumbing" or "ledger fishing", or whatever you call it, when there is a chance to fish with the float, I set him down as a "duffer", and a lazy fisherman. For my own part I would prefer a quiet day at home and a tune on the "old banjo" to fishing for barbel with the plumb."

I wonder what Bailey would think of today's Trent barbel anglers, or barbel anglers on any other English river for that matter who fish almost exclusively with the bolt rig style leger. I only know of two anglers who catch barbel with any form of consistency on the float today. One of them is a member of this website and the other is moi.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: The Angler's Instructor by William Bailey

Post by Vole »

One D. Harrell is reputed to be a bit tasty in that department, too!

I hadn't realised that Bailey had written a book until following up another post of yours the other day, so thanks for that, Ron, I'll be hunting it down soon.

It seems to be a sad fact that many Victorians only seem to have put pen to paper when they felt their methods were being challenged, so the tone came over as rather crusty and inflexible. The great exception, the man who made his fortune out of looking, listening and learning rather than laying down the law, was* the Trent Otter; and he was following - possibly quite self-consciously, who knows? - the example of Greville Fennell, whose style in "The Book of the Roach" may well have followed examples from the game-fishing world...

(Edit- * (-it can be argued-)

I'm learning to qualify all my statements lest I be thought as ossified in my opinions as some of said Victorians [might have been]. :wink:
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

Dave Harrell is one very great match angler I have a lot of respect for. It's a great pity he has never written a book.

When I returned to the UK in 1994, I acquired a video of Dave fishing the Warwickshire Avon with stick float and waggler. What I learned from that video stood me in good stead for lots of my English river fishing right until today.

Martin was totally open minded when it came to methods. He was so prepared to learn from others that he became one of the greatest fish catchers of his time. No wonder he was given the nickname - "Otter".

BobH

Post by BobH »

Ron Clay wrote:
I wonder what Bailey would think of today's Trent barbel anglers, or barbel anglers on any other English river for that matter who fish almost exclusively with the bolt rig style leger. I only know of two anglers who catch barbel with any form of consistency on the float today. One of them is a member of this website and the other is moi.
Ron,

Three of my mates who are members of Osprey only Float fish, not only for Barbel but every other species of coarse fish as well ?

And they are indeed excellent float fishermen, but they are sadly lacking in any other method of fishing, save Fly Fishing !!

One trick ponies ?

:shocked:

Bob

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Ron Clay wrote:Dave Harrell is one very great match angler I have a lot of respect for. It's a great pity he has never written a book.
Dave co-wrote, with Ken Giles, 'Float Fishing Rivers' in Beekay's Successful Angling series. Only fairly basic stuff but still quite a nice little book. He has also contributed to a handful of other books.

http://www.anglebooks.com/product.php/3 ... g-series--

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”