A Pleasure of Fishes by Bernard Venables

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

A Pleasure of Fishes by Bernard Venables

Post by Mark »

I ordered myself a copy of 'A Pleasure of Fishes' by Bernard Venables from Medlar Press yesterday.

Looking forward to this one.

From the website...

Bernard Venables was well known as a writer, and as the creator of Mr Crabtree, but was less well known as an artist. Here, for the first time, is a book that shows the beautiful and meticulously detailed watercolours of a man whose great love of fish and nature inspired a generation. Each full colour painting is accompanied by a description of the fish species, its habitat and its characteristics. In all, twenty-eight species of fish are covered - including barbel, carp, eels, pike, salmon, trout and even gudgeon and sticklebacks. This was his last, and perhaps most cherished, work. As he says in his own words: 'How lovely to do . . . a work with regard for nothing but the very best that might be done. To do it with the fish being studied, drawn and painted from the living model in its own element . . . this book is an expression of the many years of delight that I have found in fish and their subtle half-hidden ways.'

This edition is limited to 525 cloth and 125 leather-bound copies. Each book is hand-numbered.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mario
Eel

Re: A Pleasure of Fishes by Bernard Venables

Post by Mario »

its a very nice book mark you should enjoy it its been out for a number of years

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: A Pleasure of Fishes by Bernard Venables

Post by RBTraditional »

It's a beauty Mark....I love reading a chapter with a glass of something nice in front of the fire....Friday nights chapter was chub....and on Saturday I nabbed the 5.04.....Bernards spirit was obviously guiding me.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”