Somewhere Else - Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Somewhere Else - Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I can't believe I have not got around to reading anything from the mind of Charles Rangeley-Wilson before, but must say I have very much enjoyed 'Somewhere Else'. I like his writing style a lot. Fortunately I have another of his lined up.

I don't usually loan my books out but after a visit from the man so responsible for helping me out on the angling front in my early days and who has been delivered several cruel health blows these past few years our conversation spun around to favourite writers and I was amazed he had not read any John Gierach so I insisted he took a book with him.

He returned bubbling having really enjoyed his loan and had ended up ordering several Gierach books for himself, he had enjoyed them so much and then insisted I read one of his. It was a great swap of recommendations.

Scott
Tench

Re: Somewhere Else - Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Post by Scott »

Good call Shaun!

Haven't read this one but I've just been re-dipping into 'The Accidental Angler' which is another decent read, the accompanying TV show was also great wiping the floor with sort of rubbish we've had on our screens lately. I could only find one episode on Youtube, here Charles is trying to catch a trout within the M25...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TleKCE5fUbk

He also makes a cameo appearance in the supremely talented James Prosek's film (only 19 years old when he was published with 'Trout; An Illustrated History'), 'The Compleat Angler' (around 18 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2nRfn ... iaMsoBg0Us

I think I might give this book a go, any chance of a brief synopsis Shaun?

:Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Hi Scott, there are fourteen chapters covering different adventures around the world including England and Scotland and as varied as pike on the fly from the Cambridgeshire drains, right through to warm saltwater angling. All of it with the fly. A nice mixture of frustrating failures as well as successes. Charles comes across to me as a natural writer, a very observant angler is noticeable from his lovely use of words.
You know the sort of thing, adding the extra sentence to describe the sound of the water and noticing things most don't. He certainly managed to paint a pleasant picture for me without the need for pictures.

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

have enjoyed both books

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:13 pm Hi Scott, there are fourteen chapters covering different adventures around the world including England and Scotland and as varied as pike on the fly from the Cambridgeshire drains, right through to warm saltwater angling. All of it with the fly. A nice mixture of frustrating failures as well as successes. Charles comes across to me as a natural writer, a very observant angler is noticeable from his lovely use of words.
You know the sort of thing, adding the extra sentence to describe the sound of the water and noticing things most don't. He certainly managed to paint a pleasant picture for me without the need for pictures.

Thanks Shaun! Copy ordered, (only 1p plus P&P for a hardback on Amazon) sounds much like 'The Accidental Angler'.

Just found out that he's the founder of the Wild Trout Trust! I should have known that really...

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

It is 'The Accidental Angler' that I have lined up next. For what it is worth Bazz Tyson, who I hold an enormous amount of respect for lent the two books to me. In his opinion 'Somewhere Else' is streets ahead of 'The Accidental Angler' in his humble opinion. So, it looks like you are in for a real treat if you enjoyed 'The Accidental Angler' and at 1 p, it isn't too much of a gamble. :Hat:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Charles Rangeley Wilson is a very nice chap. He inspired me back in 2008 to take up fly fishing. Whilst we conversed online he found out that my Son Craig used to accompany me on my fishing trips as other sports were a bit too much for him due to his Cerebral Palsy. Charles sent him a signed copy of his book and has kept in contact ever since. I've also read "Somewhere Else" Shaun and your right it is a very good read. I also enjoyed the Accidental Angler too though, some books I can take to and others I can't but generally once I get used to an authors style I can adhere to it.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I have both of these books and think they are excellent.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I hear what you're saying FB and I sense it too but that snappiness holds my interest. :Hat:

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Mine also,i blame Jack Kerouac for getting me into this..

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”