Carp and the Carp Angler, George Sharmaan

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
SeanM
Tench

Carp and the Carp Angler, George Sharmaan

Post by SeanM »

I picked up a copy of this book in a second hand book shop last week on a whim. For those of us of a certain age it brings back memories of earnest, bush hatted young men free lining luncheon meat in the vague hope of a carp. That said, it is an excellent read, with chapters by Chris Yates, Rod Hutchinson and Fred Wilton. It also has a chapter on Woldale.

Much of the book is still relevant today and it makes a change from the rig obsessed "do it this way" books of the present day. In fact rods and rigs barely get a mention. Plenty of black and white photographs of Intrepid Elites and Mitchell 300s.

This book was written before the hair and bolt rigs, but you can sense a sport on the cusp of a change. I had to bite my metaphorical tongue a few times for fear of giving the game away and changing history a few years early!

The book can be picked up for next to nothing on Amazon so it's well worth the small outlay.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

JAA

Re: Carp and the Carp Angler, George Sharmaan

Post by JAA »

It's one of the best books on carp fishing ever written I think. He really thought things through and tried them out.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

One of my all time favorite angling books, difficult to put down.

Wal.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Thanks for the heads up Sean, I know of three members including myself that now have copys on the way. :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

One of the first carp books I bought, I must dig it out and have a re-read. Funny, back then it felt quite advanced.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:26 am One of the first carp books I bought, I must dig it out and have a re-read. Funny, back then it felt quite advanced.
......that's because it was; back then! :Chuckle:

The Fat Mole likes this book because it is not an ultra riggy based book, not a hair or bolt rig insight, just a man reasoning through his ideas and solutions to real and imagined problems in carp catching and all the better for it.

To my mind, such as it is, this is still one of my favourite books :Hat:

As ever,..........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I love the Chapter on Woldale- especially because it refers to ghostly goings on, - a subject I enjoy....!

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

Great book then and a great book now

Best Fishes
Roger
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Absolutely; it has pride of place in my collection and has for decades and decades...... I never bore with the content as it seems so very relevant in spirit if not more modern techniques. A "must have" for the Traditional Carper......

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

SeanM wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 pm
For those of us of a certain age it brings back memories of earnest, bush hatted young men free lining luncheon meat in the vague hope of a carp.
As Dick Walker wore a jungle type hat it was an essential part of being a Carp angler - not only was luncheon meat free-lined but so was bread in all its forms and it worked for me - in fact it still does. I for one have never fished a boilie, hair rig, bolt rig or the like - they have never seemed necessary.

Cracking book though which I bought around 1985 and I still have it.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”