Grayling and how to catch them.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Moley
Brown Trout

Grayling and how to catch them.

Post by Moley »

F M Walbran is not a generally well known name from the past but in his day, the late Victorian period, was a familiar name with anglers, particularly those of a Northern Persuasion. He wrote regularly for such illuminati as The Field, Fishing Gazette, The Angler, and Leeds Mercury Weekly Supplement.

W. was a particular, ardent, fan of the Grayling, as am I, and conveys this well in this little tome, published by The Medlar Press on a limited run of 250.

It is a relatively small book with a price of £30 which at first glance appears a little steep but is more than compensated by the written content, which is a delight; the author displaying a humorous dexterity and lightness of touch, whilst conveying his pleasure to be fishing faultlessly and not at all like the heavy prose more often associated with this historical period.

The descriptive prose of the rivers, general area and characters encountered are also at once familiar to anyone who has had the good fortune to fish the rivers under scrutiny, as I did when I wore a younger mans clothes. The writing is fresh and remarkably relevant even in this day and age.

Everything about this book, even to the simple cover picture of a grayling float, is to my mind, such as it is, well done and thus earning my heartiest recommendation to the readers and members of this forum.

As ever,..........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Grayling and how to catch them.

Post by Olly »

I have a slip-cased version, No. 135 of 250, published by The Flyfisher's Classic Library in 2004.

Still saving for a 19th C edition of this book plus "The Book of the Grayling" by T E Pritt - - - - fishing holiday or 2 books??

As another Grayling lover I have Roberts book on fly fishing for them - although I do prefer trotting!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Oh yes, Grayling and how to catch them, one of my all time favourite books, I have a first edition and have read it 3 times.

Walbran drowned on his favourite stretch of the Rive Ure during a rapidly rising river, it is suggested he was in financial strife with his fishing tackle business and may have taken his own life.

There is a lovely memorial in West Tanfield church yard

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The Book is nicely presented as well, with thinypic relenting and letting an image to be shown:

.....with a taster thrown in for next Winter!

As ever,..........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”