The Adventures of a SPORTING ANGLER

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Santiago
Wild Carp

The Adventures of a SPORTING ANGLER

Post by Santiago »

Penned by V.Carron Wellington and published in 1952, this is a marvellous book that concerns itself with the author's escapades whilst in pursuit of wild brown trout. The settings are mainly Loch Lomond and the hill lochs around Ullapool. I bought my copy whilst in Inverness, from the excellent book shop in that fair city, whilst on my return journey from fishing some of the hill lochs near Ullapool, although not those mentioned in the book. If you've not read this piscatorial wonder then may I highly recommend it to all you fly fisherfolk. This compendium of escapades illustrates that there surely is far more to fishing than catching fish!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Watermole+
Chub

Re: The Adventures of a SPORTING ANGLER

Post by Watermole+ »

I was fortunate enough to be given a copy with his own personal dedication written within and it is amongst my favourite books because of the sheer entertainment value!

I think his real name was David Hugh Lloyd-he was Welsh anyway-and led an exceptional colourful life, to say the least!
Assynt Angling association did a feature on him once.
Whatever the truth may have been he was without doubt a true 'character' and the world would be a very dull place without people like him..

It was the only book he ever wrote..but what a book!
Even if half of it was true,-and it may be- it is still a wonderful read.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”