Historical Carp Waters by Chris Ball

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Colonelgsc
Roach

Re: Historical Carp Waters by Chris Ball

Post by Colonelgsc »

Thank you kindly for the updates, gentlemen ...... all very much appreciated :Hat: <(((><

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

My 1/4 Leather arrived yesterday. I have to say I'm a tad disappointed. The cloth covering to both the book and slipcase is bubbling and the leather spine is creased and not firm and tight like the L.E.P 1/4 bound 'Spirit of the Pond' I have. Also, it is not the signed copy which I was expecting. :rant: Before I contact them about my concerns, I wonder if anyone else with a 1/4 bound or leather edition has experienced a similar drop in standards, or am I the only one to receive a 'Friday Afternoon' edition? :Confused:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Colonelgsc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am My 1/4 Leather arrived yesterday. I have to say I'm a tad disappointed. The cloth covering to both the book and slipcase is bubbling and the leather spine is creased and not firm and tight like the L.E.P 1/4 bound 'Spirit of the Pond' I have. Also, it is not the signed copy which I was expecting. :rant: Before I contact them about my concerns, I wonder if anyone else with a 1/4 bound or leather edition has experienced a similar drop in standards, or am I the only one to receive a 'Friday Afternoon' edition? :Confused:
I am sorry to say that mine has the same faults as those that you describe. The box is a mess as you can see by the picture and the spine is as you describe and is not firm. The leather is not parallel to the back of the book. I understand the reason why it couldn't be signed as it was not available on the day that the signing took place. However there is no reason why the book wasn't numbered eg 10/25 to signify it is a limited edition. I am afraid that the binding and box have all the hallmarks of being rushed. Such a shame.
ImageImage
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Update on my last post: It is marked as 5 from a limited edition of 15 on a sticker. I missed it! I have updated my original post.
Last edited by Bob Brookes on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Bob Brookes wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:19 am
Colonelgsc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am My 1/4 Leather arrived yesterday. I have to say I'm a tad disappointed. The cloth covering to both the book and slipcase is bubbling and the leather spine is creased and not firm and tight like the L.E.P 1/4 bound 'Spirit of the Pond' I have. Also, it is not the signed copy which I was expecting. :rant: Before I contact them about my concerns, I wonder if anyone else with a 1/4 bound or leather edition has experienced a similar drop in standards, or am I the only one to receive a 'Friday Afternoon' edition? :Confused:
I am sorry to say that mine has the same faults as those that you describe. The box is a mess as you can see by the picture and the spine is as you describe and is not firm. The leather is not parallel to the back of the book. I understand the reason why it couldn't be signed as it was not available on the day that the signing took place. I am afraid that the binding and box have all the hallmarks of being rushed. Such a shame.
ImageImage

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Mine's just as bad, Bob. As you rightly say, shame indeed. I'd go a tad further and say it's an insult to Chris to bind his months of obvious hard work in such a shoddy way. Where have our standards gone?

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Here's how it should be done, I reckonImagedownload/file.php?id=7759
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Oh dear that's not good, reckon you are owed some sort of refund, my special edition is fine, but then it's the basic copy with a slipcase.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

My 1/4 bound leather arrived this morning but I didn't open the box so it'll have to wait until I get home.
I am hoping for the best but fearing the worst! :(
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I just got home and opened the package,
It isn't in the same state of some of the others described here.
The slipcase cover is ok but not brilliant and the leather on the spine is a bit loose but looks ok and the embossed printing of the title and name etc are a bit wonky.
Overall it looks like a fair book binding hobbiest has done it. Not professional standard by any means and not a patch on Medlar. :(
Mine has an insert with 3 out 4 signatures on it (missing David Blackaller)
Last edited by Snape on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”