Observer's Freshwater Fishes

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Observer's Freshwater Fishes

Post by Olly »

I have the 1st edition of 1941. I also have the second edition of 1952.

Both mention the 24.5lb carp from Harting in Sussex.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Keston wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:42 pm
Reedling wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:04 pm 25 books listed on page two and no pages torn out as far as I can make out.
According to Wiki there were 25 books as of 1956 ? Hard to see how your book could be before this date ?

Thanks for giving those books with dates John, Pond life and Garden Flowers are listed in my book but Cacti is not. The book has therefore got to be 1956/7. You would have thought that such a great capture as that by Mr Walker would have been included by then. They had loads of other Observers books in the shop... I am glad I did not buy anymore it would do my grey matter in! Funnily enough it is the same shop that I purchased all my 'How to catch them' books from. :Thumb:

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

In Kevin Clifford’s 'A History of Carp Fishing' there are three references to large carp from Harting Great Pond. The first (netted) in 1858 weighed 24.5lb and the second, in 1872, weighed 24lb (no method of capture stated). The third weighed 29lb and was netted from Harting in 1892.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”