Still water Angling

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
JW1
Grayling

Still water Angling

Post by JW1 »

I picked this book by Richard Walker up in the Canterbury Oxfam shop today for under £3, he was a legend when I was a boy but in those days I only read comics, with the exception of Mr Crabtre/Cherry, so I had to buy it.

I've just started reading it, and it is very readable. he seemed to embrace the TFF philosophy wholehartedly, but doesn't mince his words must have been an interesting man to meet.

JW

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Still water Angling

Post by Tonytoned »

Nice find JW1 I have the paperback version Pan books.

:Thumb:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

It’s a brilliant book. The first Walker title I bought and it took two or three read through before the depth of knowledge he put in it sunk in. That’s a good find at an excellent price.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

It was the Angling Bible for us young keen specimen hunters when I was at school. The school library copy was probably the most borrowed book by the lads in my class.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Agree it’s a very good book and hugely important in its day. I still dip into my copy from time to time.

The comment about Walker embracing the TFF philosophy may lead to some debate. The tackle and general approach to fishing that he advocated were both thoroughly modern at the time he was writing. This included such things as preferring fixed spool reels over centrepins in many situations; and going beyond that, in developing electric bite alarms to make night fishing and long sessions easier. I doubt if Walker would have advocated using old traditional methods, unless such methods were actually the most efficient way to catch the fish he was after. Which of course does sometimes happen!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”