JW Young & Sons - A Century Of The Art Of Making Fishing Reels

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Ambidexman
Bleak

JW Young & Sons - A Century Of The Art Of Making Fishing Reels

Post by Ambidexman »

As many of you will know this book was published back in 2009 and was very quickly sold out. Due to the original printers ceasing to trade the book was never reprinted.

As the author this book, It seems hard for me to believe that ten years have passed since the original publication! I am now pleased to announce that following recent conversations with the (original) publishers Medlar Press, we have decided to produce an updated version that 'should' be completed sometime during 2019.

I am hoping to be able to add some information regarding the reels that I failed to finish in time for the first publication.

I would respectfully ask of you all two things:
1. If you have an interest in purchasing a copy this book (when it is completed), would you please contact Medlar Press to express that intention to purchase and
2. If you have anything that you think might be of particular interest (ie photographs or information regarding the Mayfields factory, the workers. their reels, catalogues etc) would you please get in touch with me.

I look forward to telling you all when it is completed - in anticipation, thank you for your patience :)

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: JW Young & Sons - A Century Of The Art Of Making Fishing Reels

Post by StefanDuma »

Looking forward to it.

I have a reel that you are probably aware of the 3868 Salmon reel which I have covered in The Dreadnought Casting Reel Company.

Stef

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

I thought that you may like to know that the bulk of the text for my updated J.W. Young book is now pretty much completed. The text is currently with the publishers so we are probably looking at a March completion?
There are (at least) eighteen 'new' reels discussed in the book, over one hundred new photographs and some interesting text :Wink:
I am attending the Redditch Tackle Fair tomorrow as I have arranged to take the final couple of photographs of three rare reels that I (unfortunately) do not own - but I know a man who does :Hat:

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

After failing several times to attach a photo of my work to this message I will give up :surrender: and just let you know that, I have received from my publishers (The Medlar Press) the completed formatted text and photographs of my JW Young book.

There is over 300 pages and about 400 photographs for me to go through but as I cannot cast a line on the rivers or go down the pub, this will give me something to do this weekend :Hahaha:

I am hopeful that I will return the text to Medlar Press with any amendments early next week, so then it is hopefully off to the printers.

If you would like to reserve your own copy please contact The Medlar Press at the following link:https://www.medlarpress.com/Reservation ... ations.php

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about my book.

As a thought, if someone would like to help me with how to post a picture, I will add it to this message :cheers:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

'Borrowed' from The Medlar Press website ... I hope they will forgive me.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Looking forward to this one.

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

Me too Stefan :)

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Lets hope you got all the reels this time otherwise we will have to have a third volume!!!

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have the original and use it regularly as a source of reference.Most of my fly fishing is done using Youngs reels and many of my Irish fishing pals have taken to using them so that I have to acquire them here and take them over.The largest sized Beudex is much used for fishing the fly for salmon.
Mark Davies

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've asked for an email to be sent when the book becomes available. I too am a lover of the Youngs fly reels Mark :Sun:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”