50 Years A Fisherman, John Wilson

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Aitch
Pike

50 Years A Fisherman, John Wilson

Post by Aitch »

I don't know if this book has been mentioned before... but here goes....

A fishing buddy loaned me this book just before Christmas and what with all the other books that my wife graciously preloaded onto my brand spanking new Kindle, I have just got round to reading a proper book for a while.

John's Autobiography is a very good read, a warts and all story of his life from a small boy up till 1999... it is informative and packed full of pictures of himself his friends and his family... He comes across as very personable and I enjoyed it... some of the subject matter could be construed as controversial, possibly of the time and he is very outspoken on the subjects of abstraction and predation, but then we all are to a degree...
As one of the leading figures in Angling, his contribution to the Angling Press and the Media are without compare... I especially enjoyed the charting of his rise from occasional writer to owner of Kazan Productions...

All in all a good read....

Recommended :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: 50 Years A Fisherman, John Wilson

Post by Mark »

Yes it is a good book Harry, I also like '60 Years a Fisherman'.

When John planned to come back to England it was said I think by Martin Bowler that he was going to write '70 Years a Fisherman'.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great book. I have a signed copy!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

It was very sad news when John died ,I had met him a couple of times and it seemed to me that the way he spoke that you had known him for years ,almost like a brother,helpful honest and a good listener.Rest in peace. John you'll be missed but never forgetting. Reelmaker

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”