World book day

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

World book day

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I'm not keen on 'days', there are far too many and most of them are trivial. However, I bought a book today. Wordsworths Guide to the Lakes, 5th edition in the hope that it will inspire me to write a piece about Cumbria. Did anyone else buy a book today?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: World book day

Post by Dave Burr »

Yeah, I saw it was world book day whilst watching the telly. Made me feel king of dirty :roll:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

My daughter who is a teacher had a dressing up book day at her Primary school and they all loved it, they all dressed up as book titles dictate, TA's and children alike.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Tried to buy a lot of 6 at auction, but baled out at £100 + 30% + £35 carriage and packing.

Who was it said that books are losing their value?
The Watcher by the Bridge

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I dropped my youngest off at school this morning in his Batman outfit (the school had deferred world book day until today) to be greeted by his reception class teacher in a tiny nurses outfit that wouldnt look out of place on the hanger in an Ann Summers shop. It was tamed down a little with a pair of leggings, silver knee high Doc Martens, various piercings and more colourful tattoos than I have ever seen before! All the kids were blissfully ignorant to the spectacle before them but as sure as mustard word has got round and there will be plenty of fathers doing the school pick-up!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Presumably she was dressed for International Women's Day !

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Brilliant Snape!
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I picked up a few books. Several fiction, a couple of children's stories for the grandchildren and three books on fishing, all from charity shops (last of the big spenders, I know!) One is on baits "Course fishing baits" by Colin Graham, dated 1974. an encyclopaedia of baits and their various names and suitability. Fascinating! I've never heard of Bullock's pith, but apparently it was once a favourite bait. it was used for chub mainly and the substance was extracted from the spine of said animal.
the other two books are on the subject of sea angling, "Sea angling for beginners" by A.Young (1965) and "Sea fishing tackle" byMcMillen (1965).I've not yet tackled either in any detail. I'll leave that until the evening, accompanied by a decent beer.
Incidentally, does anyone else on here get requests from grandchildren for a Roman shield one week, followed by something with hieroglyphics the next and today to supply a "stout natural stick" for next week? Apparently it's science week, next week. Next term I'm to supply WWII material! Lucky I have a deep wardrobe, even I have no idea what's at the back of it. Possibly Narnia?
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

When's International Old Farts Day?

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”