Captain Parker and the roach pole

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Troydog
Tench

Captain Parker and the roach pole

Post by Troydog »

This Fishing, by Captain Parker is one of the best fishing books I have ever read. He is so passionate about his angling and this exudes from every page. With me still toying about the acquisition of a roach pole, I am interested to read that his pole weighed 30 ounces yet it was only 20 to 22 feet in length.
I was reading Bob Nudd's Pole Fishing book yesterday and he is fishing an 8 metre line and a 12 metre line!! But I can't be dealing with all the technicalities and complexities of his set up. After all he is a world champion match angler.
But in my cellar I have a Leeda Concept Match rod that stretches to 20 foot and only weighs 13 ounces. I am wondering, unless anyone has any better ideas, whether this rod will be sufficient to see me out......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Captain Parker and the roach pole

Post by Santiago »

It should be fine Apart from poles, back then they also used pole rods, the main differences being a shorter length and the use of a centrepin.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thanks a lot Santiago, I shall bring it out and dust it down ready for the new river season. Bob Nudds book, excellent though it is, really has put me off. I don’t need 8 and 12 metre lines anyway. I like fishing down the inside most times......
John Harding

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Bob Nudd was probably just fishing two different lines on what may have been a canal or river. 8 metre would be in the boat channel, 12 on the far shelf.
I have done a lot of pole fishing, 2 metre whip down the inside shelf for Gudgeon, Perch, Roach etc. Boat channel line for the bigger species like Bream and 14 metres onto the far shelf. The added length is harder to handle but the presentation is second to none. The main advantage of the longer pole ir the ability to fish right into trees, snags and bushes which can hold better fish because of the cover.
Im not into any form of pole fishing for Carp, I dont like that style at all. The market is flooded with trendy Carp crunching carbon poles, not many offer the finesse and delicacy which I like about pole fishing.
I guess like everything it depends on the venue you may fish with a pole, the species and your expectations.

Your 20 foot rod would be perfect for trotting, holding a good line on flowing water.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a "pole rod" used for barbel - a fully rung 17 ft fibreglass roach pole! A Lerc made by a Thames matchman.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I recomend you get a cane 17ft rod Olly and a winch :Hahaha:: :fishing2: :Wink:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you gentlemen. Yes Gobio Gobio I can see from what you are saying that there are some real advantages with the pole that you simply can’t get with running line. I am mainly interested in getting excellent presentation for quality fish, mainly on the inside line. I watch match anglers fishing mid river on the Wye, but I don’t really want to be out that far. I think the issue is that river levels are so volatile in the Autumn and Winter, you need the right rod and the right presentation to catch consistently. I will work harder with the 20 foot Leeda rod in the first instance.
THat 17ft rod of yours Olly sounds like a cracker
John Harding

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you gentlemen. Yes Gobio Gobio I can see from what you are saying that there are some real advantages with the pole that you simply can’t get with running line. I am mainly interested in getting excellent presentation for quality fish, mainly on the inside line. I watch match anglers fishing mid river on the Wye, but I don’t really want to be out that far. I think the issue is that river levels are so volatile in the Autumn and Winter, you need the right rod and the right presentation to catch consistently. I will work harder with the 20 foot Leeda rod in the first instance.
THat 17ft rod of yours Olly sounds like a cracker
John Harding

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

This Fishing by Captain Parker is certainly a great book, by an angler who did catch a lot of fish and was a true gentleman, who I had the pleasure to meet. I have also stopped at the Bull Inn many many times. I also have a traditional cane pole with a mahogany butt and whale bone tip, it’s used often, its nearly a hundred years old it's still straight, and as good a pole today as it was for my great grandfather, his father my granddad then myself, it’s also perfectly balanced. Lee Price of Cane and Able has just given it its first refurbish, he was amazed at the high quality of the pole. I did play around with a Lerc pole in the early 70’s they were in my opinion rubbish compared with my traditional cane pole. I have also held one of the very long poles of today, they are not for this Old Boy.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you for this Martin. It is the sheer complexity of kit you need to be a pole angler on the river these days. I am just not interested in investing that kind of money on ANY kit. Most of the stuff I have already bought, borrowed or found will see me out quite happily I think.....
John Harding

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”