Woldale

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Woldale

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The Old Buffer wrote:Came across this old photograph of a man and boy fishing at Woldale in the 1920's, long before the Carp Catchers Club days. Thought it might be of interest.

I can't work out if that's the top or the bottom lake. There are certainly no houses visible from either lake now.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Otters, nothing could be done.
That is very sad. I remember with what enthusiasm otters were reintroduced to the Lincolnshire Wolds back in the 80's in the Hagworthingham area. They have proved much more successful than anyone could have hoped (or feared) and have spread far and wide.

This is a very emotive subject i know and as anglers were are probably very sensitive to animals which prey on fish but the thought of half eaten carp pulled up and left on the bank, especially on such a historic water, makes one despair.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
The Old Buffer wrote:Came across this old photograph of a man and boy fishing at Woldale in the 1920's, long before the Carp Catchers Club days. Thought it might be of interest.

I can't work out if that's the top or the bottom lake. There are certainly no houses visible from either lake now.
Bottom (tench) Shaun, has the cottage behind the boathouse.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I just never recognised the dramatic sharp angle bend in the top middle right. I've had a few trips there and fished both lakes. Fortunately in looks wise, time has been very kind to Woldale. It's just a total tragedy that the otters finished those fine old carp off. Carp that were very much left alone to live out their lives with just the odd angler fishing sympathetic methods.

Now I have checked on an aerial picture I can see it is the tench pool now.

Rich Clarke
Minnow

Post by Rich Clarke »

There were some cats in there as well in later years. Kept very quiet of course, don't know if anything has survived the otters.

At one point the CCG were close to getting a fish-in on there to remove and re-home the cats but it never came off due to politics and the otters probably beat us to it I guess.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

I have got to stop reading the posts in this section!!

My copy of Woldale arrived yesterday you guys are costing me a fortune, stop making everything sound so tempting :Hahaha:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”