Woldale

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Woldale

Post by Mark »

Skeff wrote:Ashmead is all about the careful management of a semi-natural environment and it's wildlife. The carp are a naturally self-sustaining population and have grown big because of the careful stewardship of their environment and good stock management.... It's also somewhere where the atmosphere of carp fishing as I first knew it in the 70's can still be savoured. There is only one rule; please respect the environment, the fish and other anglers.
Sadly not enough of these places left Skeff, I have been looking for something like this for years.

I did find one once, day ticket as well and had five years without ever seeing anyone on the bank, unspoilt it was. Sadly the National Trust now own it and no one has been allowed to fish it for the past 8 years.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote: Sadly the National Trust now own it and no one has been allowed to fish it for the past 8 years.
I'm sure Skeff could twist and arm or two, maybe a TFF syndicate! :chuckle:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Where was that Mark? Send me a pm if preferred.... I'm interested, as we should be promoting fishing as a great way of engaging people with nature.... Our policy is that we welcome angling unless there is an over-riding conservation or security reason that precludes it. As Snape hints, I work for NT in a senior conservation role and, amongst many other things, wrote our fisheries policy...

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Skeff wrote:Where was that Mark? Send me a pm if preferred.... I'm interested, as we should be promoting fishing as a great way of engaging people with nature.... Our policy is that we welcome angling unless there is an over-riding conservation or security reason that precludes it. As Snape hints, I work for NT in a senior conservation role and, amongst many other things, wrote our fisheries policy...
PM sent Skeff.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Its a shame but there are many negative issues in angling and carp fishing especially where flagrant breaking of privacy rules seem very common. I fish a syndicate lake, known to Skeff, which is vulnerable to poaching but more importantly has been left as a low pressure water with minimal swims available and low member numbers to keep the place as natural as possible. To encourage more people to explore its potential (euphemism for poach the arse out of it) or to open it up to a wider membership of those that are playing the numbers game would have a detrimental effect on everybody.

I feel privileged to be able to fish such a water and, although I publish pictures of fish and a few discrete view pictures, I will always protect its identity and that of any lake where similar rules are in place.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Our very own TFF hideaway.....now that would be special!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Our very own TFF hideaway.....now that would be special!!!
Something we all hope for one day, would be special indeed. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Just out of interest what does the average sized 3-5 acre lake cost to rent each year? I have no idea?

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I have only ever been lucky enough to have been a member of one carp syndicate and that was some years ago. There were no rules regarding publicity and the management certainly didn’t mind because the syndicate leader wrote a couple of articles about the place, but generally the members liked to keep it a bit ‘off the radar’. I think another reason there was very little publicity is because the fish weren’t really big enough to make much of a splash, and with the odd exception, it’s generally all about size in most fishing magazines.

Around the same time I was also fishing a club water, which did contain some big carp and although quite a few anglers had their catches printed in magazines, they did not name the water. Again there were no rules about it. The reasons for keeping tight lipped at this one were really down to an unwritten code of conduct whereby, although the club was open to anybody, albeit with limited night ticket numbers, the lake was regarded as quite a special place and the feeling was that the anglers fishing there didn’t want it to become too much of a ‘circuit water’. It was generally considered that if people found out about it, either through introduction, or through their own resourcefulness, then that was obviously fair enough, but shouting its name from the rooftops was not really ‘the done thing’. Yes, plenty of catch pictures have been published from this water but it just doesn’t get named in the press.

I do sometimes write about my fishing and I have published pictures and written about both these waters but when doing so have given them fictitious names. Regretfully however, I may have slipped up a couple of times with the syndicate water :oops: – a bit careless and stupid of me, but this was not in any mainstream carp magazine and, as I have said, not against any rules.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Fear not my fellow piscators. For when I win euro millions I shall find and purchase an old estate lake that will be stocked with leney carp and some other requested species. The lake will be some 5 acres lots of features etc. completely surrounded by trees of various makes, lush green grass and appropriate facilities hidden within the woodland area. A small shop to entrance to pick up any supplies you may of forgotten , a good supply of dried twigs and tea for Kelly kettles. For those wishing to bivvy up there will be purpose made vintage style bivvies. Strictly tff members only and each will be issued with a key to unlock the main gated entrance. And of course free cake.......................
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”