British Record Carp - Pre 1980

This forum is for discussing carp.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Re: British Record Carp - Pre 1980

Post by GregF »

Sorry Dave, not trying to wind anyone up, make mischief or re-write the record books. Just reporting something I’d read that I thought might be of interest and appropriate to the thread. ‘tis all.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Not getting at you Greg its just the amount of misinformation that surrounds the whole record business. We used to have a definitive list on the back of the license that, as kids, we knew by heart and a new record was a major event that we all aspired to. But nowadays there are so many blatantly false claims of big fish and so many that are kept quiet, I just wonder what the point is any more.

I think that local records are a matter for the anglers conscience to report but a national record is something we have a duty to report. I know that what I have just said is a contradiction which, I guess is why its all so complex.

Hey ho, I doubt very much I shall have to make the decision whether to report a record or not so I'll shut up and sort my gear for the wildie weekend

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

No worries Dave, I tend to agree with a lot of that. I’m not even sure what the current carp record is. I’m assuming it is still held by ‘Two Tone’ from Conningbrook. What it weighed, I’ve completely forgotten. I suppose I could look it up, but I’m not really that interested. I expect I’ll find out when the weeklies next report “CARP RECORD SMASHED!” using headlines of the size usually reserved for the outbreak of a world war, only to state in the sub-heading that it topped the previous record by an ounce or so and that it was the same fish. :roll: (Well, obviously not the same fish next time, I know 2-tone died, but I’m sure you get my drift). As for the other species records, I’m totally clueless.

Anyway, tight lines for the weekend. Hope the wildies are obliging :Thumb:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

So going back to my original question...

I have been trawling through the internet looking for British record carp pre 1980 and have gone back from Chris Yates record carp in 1980 to 1902.

Do any of you chaps have any information pre 1902.

1902, 26th Sep - Otto Overbeck, Common 17.8lbs from Croxby pond.
1916, 6th Sept - John Andrews, Mirror 20.3lb from Cheshunt Reservoir.
1926, 14th Aug - E.Wyatt, Mirror 21lb 10oz from Warren Pond.
1930, 24th Jul - Albert Buckley, Mirror 26lb from Mapperley Reservoir.
1951, 3rd Oct - Bob Richards, Mirror 31.4lbs from Redmire Pool.
1952, 13th Sep - Richard Walker, Common 44lb from Redmire Pool.
1980, 16th Jun - Chris Yates, Mirror 51.8lb from Redmire Pool.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

OK my spanner in the works: I've seen a photograph of a set-up cased carp reputed to have been caught at 42lbs in 1933 and it's not a Redmire fish.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I should hope not, Redmire never had any carp in it till the following year, and they were only yearlings. :Wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I should hope not, Redmire never had any carp in it till the following year, and they were only yearlings. :Wink:
Indeed – you can tell I don't read my history books anymore!

However, if the weight stated is correct I present evidence of another British Record Carp:

http://www.fishermansemporium.co.uk/case11.html

Check out case 88 that reads: Leeds Abbey, May 25th, 1933. Wgt 40lb 2ozs.
Now was there a close season in force in those days that might preclude this fish 'counting'?

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I guess as there is no captors name on the case, that there is nothing to suggest it was actually caught on rod and line. Netted perhaps? Or found dead? Setting fish up was very popular, especially such rare and sought after fish.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Mark - Kevin Cliffords excellent book - A History of Carp Fishing - lists "some early references of big carp" on page 30 back to 1739 not sure if any of these were regarded as British records at the time? Possibly not as Otto's 17lber was topped back in 1894.

Cheers

Les :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I guess as there is no captors name on the case, that there is nothing to suggest it was actually caught on rod and line. Netted perhaps? Or found dead? Setting fish up was very popular, especially such rare and sought after fish.
Yes that's very possible and very likely. On the other hand not everybody would seek the publicity or be bothered about claiming the record especially if it meant their own bit of fishing heaven was put under increasing angling pressure.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”