Redmire's Real Monster - The King

This forum is for discussing carp.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Redmire's Real Monster - The King

Post by Mark »

Leigh wrote:I will be working away from home in the near future - Can anyone recommend a book to read that covers Redmire & it's legends?.
'Redmire Pool' by Kevin Clifford and Len Arbery is a very good one.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Leigh wrote:I will be working away from home in the near future - Can anyone recommend a book to read that covers Redmire & it's legends?.
You can't beat
"Redmire Pool" by Kevin Clifford and Len Arbery
It is a bit pricey now but it's all there.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Well if you are not "innit" then you certainly can't "win it" !

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Firebird wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:Discussing giant fish is a bit like guessing the odds of winning the lottery. You will be told that you are more likely to be hit by lighting a couple of times in the same week that win it yet many weeks pass where nobody gets hit by lightning once yet alone twice and still somebody wins several million pounds by picking six random numbers. Whatever the odds, it can happen.
But very unlikely to you (or me - especially as I don't buy tkts)
I don't fish Redmire either - crap analogy really :Happy:

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I agree ! Ha !

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

When I took over the running of the Redmire Syndicate in the early eighties I was given all the correspondence appertaining to the syndicate and Pool from when or slightly before Jack Hilton arranged the lease. Several of the early letters to Jack were from Dick Walker, Dick kindly giving Jack as much information about the Pool, it's fish and a couple of issues indirectly linked to the fishing there. In one of the letters Dick writes about the netting of the 58 pounder, he tell's of how he and Fred J rescued the stranded fish from the shallows after it had been pushed there during spawning. They took the fish to the dam end of the pool where they weighed it on a set of fifty eight pound scales which it bottomed out, I think this is where the Fred J Taylor quote "I KNOW the're are sixty pounders swimming in Redmire" came from, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Dick went on to say they didn't disclose this at the time except to some members of the CCC because there been several unkind rumours going round about how he caught the forty four.
With regards to the comments about Jack losing a four foot common at the net, I don't believe that to be right, he did lose a big common estimated at 39 inches which he got over his net, in I believe '68. Jack did claim to see a four foot common which he found in the Redmire shallows a day or so before the start of the 69 season, both these events are documented in Quest for Carp.
Going on from this the comments about the '76 season when the pool partly dried up and the 38 (we always knew what became Chris's record fish as the "38" where the term Bishop came from I've no idea) along with the thirty and the nude leather were seen almost daily, the 38 spent most of the summer just a few feet out from the Redmire punt which was docked in the Willow Pitch. It is true there were no sightings of any monsters that year which is I agree amazing. The following year there were sightings the most interesting being when Chris and Barry Mills were perched on a bough of the old oak, they saw right below them the 38 along with the 30lb 'ish leather a massive blue grey fish which dwarfed both the known fish. The fact that both anglers saw this fish and watched it for some time is I believe very significant. I arrived at the Pool the day after and both were quite hyper about the sighting and both gave me the exact same description of the fish.
Finally whilst on the subject of Redmire fish and the comments about the current forty pound linear mirror and the claim it is a known fish I.e.Dick Weale's linear I am sorry to disillusion everyone but ! Back in the early nineties I met up with Les as he wanted to know how we lowered the water level at Redmire to repair the leaking dam I explained how we did it and I gather a short time later Les used the information to drop the water level for a netting. As a result of this Les kindly invited me to take some of the old syndicate to the Pool for a few days fishing. Shortly before I went to Redmire a guy I knew who was quite a well known carp angler of the time had a business just a couple of hundred yards from where I live, I went to see him on a carp related matter. When I saw him the first thing he showed me was a photo of him on the Redmire dam holding the Dick Weale linear, he had just returned from Redmire and had caught this great fish. Sadly however he related that the fish had been deep hooked and no amount of prodding with forceps could find the hook, eventually the hook link was cut and the fish returned.
I arrived at Redmire a couple of days later and met Chris Haswell who had also just arrived, we like everyone went for a walk around the Pool when we walked out on the old platform there lying in the water was the linear looking somewhat stressed, she didn't move and we could touch her even stroke her. After a while we left her and carried on but intending to keep checking, the following day she was still in the same spot her fins close to her body and her dorsel down. On the third day we found her dead, Chris and I buried her quite close to where the record was buried, we decided to say nothing. About six years ago I went Back to Redmire again and whilst talking to Les he mentioned the big linear and referred to Dick Weale which was the first time I became aware of the "legend" so I did tell him what had happened, so if there is a forty pound linear currently in Redmire it sure ain't Dicks fish.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think this underlines the magic of Redmire. It's not the fish that get landed but the one's that don't. There can be few waters like it.

I did think about the ability of car to hide just the other day. I have a pond of about 10'x6' which, at this time of the year, is as clear as tap water and I can stand on the side and see every inch of the bottom and in and through all of the remaining weed stems. Yet just the other day, I was looking for my biggest carp. It cannot weigh less that 5lbs now and it has a companion that's a pound or two less. That one and every other fish in the pool was clearly visible but I was coming to the conclusion that the big fella' had been taken by a heron. A day or two later, I dropped a few feed pellets on the surface and, rising vertical from the bottom, came the big guy. He sipped in a few pellets and has been clearly visible ever since.

If a fish can hide in a puddle then Redmire's fish have always had an advantage over us.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

JPC wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:53 am When I took over the running of the Redmire Syndicate in the early eighties I was given all the correspondence appertaining to the syndicate and Pool from when or slightly before Jack Hilton arranged the lease. Several of the early letters to Jack were from Dick Walker, Dick kindly giving Jack as much information about the Pool, it's fish and a couple of issues indirectly linked to the fishing there. In one of the letters Dick writes about the netting of the 58 pounder, he tell's of how he and Fred J rescued the stranded fish from the shallows after it had been pushed there during spawning. They took the fish to the dam end of the pool where they weighed it on a set of fifty eight pound scales which it bottomed out, I think this is where the Fred J Taylor quote "I KNOW the're are sixty pounders swimming in Redmire" came from, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Dick went on to say they didn't disclose this at the time except to some members of the CCC because there been several unkind rumours going round about how he caught the forty four.
With regards to the comments about Jack losing a four foot common at the net, I don't believe that to be right, he did lose a big common estimated at 39 inches which he got over his net, in I believe '68. Jack did claim to see a four foot common which he found in the Redmire shallows a day or so before the start of the 69 season, both these events are documented in Quest for Carp.
Going on from this the comments about the '76 season when the pool partly dried up and the 38 (we always knew what became Chris's record fish as the "38" where the term Bishop came from I've no idea) along with the thirty and the nude leather were seen almost daily, the 38 spent most of the summer just a few feet out from the Redmire punt which was docked in the Willow Pitch. It is true there were no sightings of any monsters that year which is I agree amazing. The following year there were sightings the most interesting being when Chris and Barry Mills were perched on a bough of the old oak, they saw right below them the 38 along with the 30lb 'ish leather a massive blue grey fish which dwarfed both the known fish. The fact that both anglers saw this fish and watched it for some time is I believe very significant. I arrived at the Pool the day after and both were quite hyper about the sighting and both gave me the exact same description of the fish.
Finally whilst on the subject of Redmire fish and the comments about the current forty pound linear mirror and the claim it is a known fish I.e.Dick Weale's linear I am sorry to disillusion everyone but ! Back in the early nineties I met up with Les as he wanted to know how we lowered the water level at Redmire to repair the leaking dam I explained how we did it and I gather a short time later Les used the information to drop the water level for a netting. As a result of this Les kindly invited me to take some of the old syndicate to the Pool for a few days fishing. Shortly before I went to Redmire a guy I knew who was quite a well known carp angler of the time had a business just a couple of hundred yards from where I live, I went to see him on a carp related matter. When I saw him the first thing he showed me was a photo of him on the Redmire dam holding the Dick Weale linear, he had just returned from Redmire and had caught this great fish. Sadly however he related that the fish had been deep hooked and no amount of prodding with forceps could find the hook, eventually the hook link was cut and the fish returned.
I arrived at Redmire a couple of days later and met Chris Haswell who had also just arrived, we like everyone went for a walk around the Pool when we walked out on the old platform there lying in the water was the linear looking somewhat stressed, she didn't move and we could touch her even stroke her. After a while we left her and carried on but intending to keep checking, the following day she was still in the same spot her fins close to her body and her dorsel down. On the third day we found her dead, Chris and I buried her quite close to where the record was buried, we decided to say nothing. About six years ago I went Back to Redmire again and whilst talking to Les he mentioned the big linear and referred to Dick Weale which was the first time I became aware of the "legend" so I did tell him what had happened, so if there is a forty pound linear currently in Redmire it sure ain't Dicks fish.
Chris named the big Redmire carp he had seen after chess pieces, King, Queen, Bishop, Knight etc.
The four foot common was the King, and the 38 the Bishop.
A very interesting post sir, sad about the linear mirror dying.
Best regards
Mem

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Yes very sad to hear that Dick Weale's linear succumbed in this manner. :(
The fact is, there is a big linear in Redmire which is over 40lb. It was caught at 42lb but not declared. It has been seen by many people on a frequent basis.
As for the Redmire royalty. I am sure I read somewhere that Chris said he regretted not naming his record fish.
The appellations, King, Queen, Bishop, Knights were their ranks rather than names. The '51' was the Bishop by virtue of being the third largest fish in the pool. The Knights were two fish of similar size and shape but they were not named.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

JPC wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:53 am When I took over the running of the Redmire Syndicate in the early eighties I was given all the correspondence appertaining to the syndicate and Pool from when or slightly before Jack Hilton arranged the lease. Several of the early letters to Jack were from Dick Walker, Dick kindly giving Jack as much information about the Pool, it's fish and a couple of issues indirectly linked to the fishing there. In one of the letters Dick writes about the netting of the 58 pounder, he tell's of how he and Fred J rescued the stranded fish from the shallows after it had been pushed there during spawning. They took the fish to the dam end of the pool where they weighed it on a set of fifty eight pound scales which it bottomed out, I think this is where the Fred J Taylor quote "I KNOW the're are sixty pounders swimming in Redmire" came from, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Nice to see you posting on here :Wink:

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”